Re: Hammock Camping Byer hammocks..........

  • Steve McBride
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 4:18 AM
      Christina,

      I picked up our Byer hammocks at EMS in Grand Rapids for around $18 each.
      Picked up some 1"tubular strapping there also. I know the Byer is also
      available through Campmor. I have the Traveler model which is made of nylon
      and weighs about 11 oz. They have a new model that has attached mosquito
      netting, but I've only seen a picture of that. I already have an 8' x 10'
      silnylon tarp, so that is what I'm bringing with me to try out this weekend.
      Unfortunately, the night temperatures are expected to be in the low 30's,
      and I understand hammocks' greatest weakness is cold weather. I'll bring my
      trusted bivy along in case I have to bail out.

      I haven't used a Mayan hammock, so I can't give a fair comparison. Byer
      advertises theirs as an Amazon hammock. By lying at a slight diagonal across
      it, I am fairly flat and quite comfortable.

      Steve M