another approach to getting the double wall hammock---

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2003
      http://www.mindspring.com/~rgarling/Insulator.htm

      I hope everyone has seen this setup,if not it deserves some study.
      I have successfully deployed an underquilt on a recent AT section
      hike over Albert Mountain...Friday of this week I will be using a
      Garlington Taco (insulator) with various fills for insulation
      including a Golite Fur that I accidentally discovered fits almost
      perfectly under my HH Backpacking A-sym...on a five day hike to
      Pearisburg...besides the Fur I will use garbage bags with air and
      forest duff (neeles,leaves,etc.) and also clothes and my backpack,
      and maybe even a crumpled space blanket in the garbage bag.
      I would use the underquilt previously made in conjuction with the
      Garlington Taco but my hiking partner has decided that she will use
      it.
      We made the Garlington Taco out of sil-nyl, with a channel down each
      side to hold the support cord, we varied the foot end from Garlington
      in that we made a slit that matches up with the entrance slit in the
      HH....velcro was added to hold the Fur to the Taco and also added in
      long strips to the abutting slits. We also cut a slit in the Fur
      beginning at the foot end to also match up with the entrace slit in
      the HH....the Fur might be overkill depending on conditions....a
      report will follow post hike.
      Simva4040 The Medicine Man