Re: [Hammock Camping] cheap hammock insulation

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2005
      ivan... i too would be interrested to hear more about thinsulate from others who are more familiar w/ the differant insulations. i haven`t been in a jo-ann`s. i should check it out. on the backpackinglight.com forum, i & others have suggested that jordan & crew, do a study of differant synthetics avalible. i suggested they include some of the cheaper insulations just to see how far they do fall behind in warmth to weight, durability, etc. don`t know if we`ll see it happen. i`m using what i think to be one of the better poly-fills that wal mart sells for my 1st winter hammock. ...tim

      Ivan Hazelton <ivan.hazelton@...> wrote: The Thinsulate at my local Jo-Ann's is relatively cheap, as low as
      $4/yd^2 before any discounts/coupons. Is this an acceptable insulation
      for a hammock? Or is it cheap (inexpensive) because it's cheap (poor
      product)? I realize there are better insulators (down) and cheaper
      insulators (quilt batting), I guess what I am asking is "bang for the
      buck" is this a good value and appropriate for this purpose.

      -Ivan Hazelton
      Juneau, AK
      " '43*F and drizzling,' that's not a forcast, that's just Juneau!"

      tim garner