Re: Double walled hammock?

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
      One other thing that I forgot to mention was that it makes it easy to
      stuff unused clothing between the two layers for insulation. It also
      makes it easy to use single sections of a z-rest for extra shoulder
      padding.

      > I used a two-layer home made Speer hammock on a recent thru-hike of
      > the Benton MacKaye Trail in GA & TN. I used two layers of 1.9 oz
      rip-
      > stop nylon with DWR finish (that was the only material I had). It
      > worked very well. It did a good job of holding the padding in
      place,
      > it was more comfortable than sleeping directly on the pads, it was
      > much easier to move about in the hammock so switching from side to
      > back was pretty easy and there didn't seem to be any moisture build-
      > up on my backside. I have been planning on ordering enough 1.1 oz
      > material to make one out of that. I used two pieces cut to the
      same
      > dimensions and let the knot hold them together and only the outer
      > material had velcro for the bug netting. (I only used the bug
      > netting for about 2 hours on the 7 night trip). So yeah, I have
      > tried it and it worked really well. I got the idea from an
      > inexpensive "twin-layer hammock" that I bought last year that was
      > very un-impressive, except for the two-layer concept.
      >
      > Youngblood
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Per-Arne Asp" <per-
      > arne.asp@t...> wrote:
      > > Just an idea (feel free to use):
      > >
      > > Would it be possible to make a (Ed Speer style) hammock of two
      thin
      > pieces of fabric instead of one thicker piece? That way it should
      be
      > possible to insert your pad between the two pieces of fabric.
      Anyone

      http://www.reemst.com/calvin_and_hobbes/comics/cstrips/pics/last2.gif
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
        Message
        Sounds really good Youngblood. Sorry you didn't get to make the 2nd Chattooga River trip--would loved to have seen that hammock...Ed