RE: [Hammock Camping] stove testing

  • Michael B. Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2005
      I tried my esbit stove this morning at ~23 degrees outside. I had the
      water at about 40 degrees (measured with a lab thermometer) trying to
      simulate the water temperature on Mt. Mitchell. I filled my MSR titanium
      cup most of the way, and with the water that cold, it never came close to
      boiling with 1/2 tablet. I didn't have time to try it with a full tab, or
      with a windscreen. I'm planning to take my canister stove at this point I
      guess. I haven't tried it below 25 either, but I don't feel like packing
      the whisperlite in. I made an insulated support for the canister, and a
      windscreen that shouldn't overheat the canister. I don't think I'll have
      another cold morning to test it out before the trip. I hope we can build a
      fire. I may sleep over it :o)

      Michael

      PS - I just got notice that I'm getting laid off in June, so if I don't
      find another job by then, I may be living in the woods...