Re: OK.....first question

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
      TC

      I'm guessing your TeamCourage, right? Just read your question and
      Eds answer. I usually hang my shoes, headlamp and a waterbottle from
      the ridge line. I use a rope to hold my water bottle hanging over my
      belly. The headlamp straight over my face and the shoes toward my
      feet. That way I don't have to smell them. I usually put my pack
      on the ground and use a pack cover over it. This stays either under
      the hammock or at one of the trees Im using. If I ever go into
      porcupine country I'll probably hang my pack like Ed suggest. Ed do
      you use a pie plate or any thing to keep critters from climbing down
      the hang rope?

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7 <tcoug7@a...>"

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
        Message
        I've never had any critters climb down the hanging straps; have you?
      • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
          No. But I've hear of it happening and of people using pie pans,
          frisbies ect. as a block. I guess the wild critters havent had time
          to figure it out like yard critters. I know a few squirls that
          would laugh at such attempts.

          Coy Boy

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
            Message

            I did once have a racoon climb down a tree I was tied to; another time a porcupine actually climbed a tree I was tied to!  He stayed up all night and finally came down at dawn.  Neither animal bothered me or my pack w/ food.

            The pie pan would probably work well in a situation like the campsites in the Everglades when very large numbers of rats or racoons show up looking for fresh water.  It's rare, but does happen.  Occassionally small islands there are overrun by 1,000's of rats--if you didn't know and camped on their island....!

            Our tree climbing snakes in the US are not poisonous, or are they?  This might be a concern in other parts of the world.  I've seen snakes in the Amazon that easily hold their head 3 feet off the ground!  I still feel safer in a hammock than on the ground.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
              I'm not sure which snakes can climb trees. I know black racers and
              chichen snakes do. I was a tree climber for several years in my
              younger days and got quite a scare several times when I would climb
              across one being real still or hid in a knot or nest. Good thing I
              was tied in or I might have fell to the ground a few times. But I
              don't ever recall seeing a Rattlesnake, Copperhead, or Water
              Moccisian in a tree. But that said I don't know if they climb or
              not.

              Coy Boy

              > I did once have a racoon climb down a tree I was tied to; another
              time a
              > porcupine actually climbed a tree I was tied to! He stayed up all
              night
              > and finally came down at dawn. Neither animal bothered me or my
              pack w/
              > food.
              >
              > The pie pan would probably work well in a situation like the
              campsites
              > in the Everglades when very large numbers of rats or racoons show
              up
              > looking for fresh water. It's rare, but does happen.
              Occassionally
              > small islands there are overrun by 1,000's of rats--if you didn't
              know
              > and camped on their island....!
              >
              > Our tree climbing snakes in the US are not poisonous, or are
              they? This
              > might be a concern in other parts of the world. I've seen snakes
              in the
              > Amazon that easily hold their head 3 feet off the ground! I still
              feel
              > safer in a hammock than on the ground.
              >

              > No. But I've hear of it happening and of people using pie pans,
              > frisbies ect. as a block. I guess the wild critters havent had
              time
              > to figure it out like yard critters. I know a few squirls that
              > would laugh at such attempts.
              >
              > Coy Boy
              >
              > -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...> wrote:
              > > I've never had any critters climb down the hanging straps; have
              > you?

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Marge Prothman
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
                Now you guys did it to me. I thought when I got the hammock I would be
                free of snakes and critters and what do I read on my first day
                here....snakes and critters.

                Cheers, Marge.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
                    Hi Marge

                    I doubt if a snake could get inside your hammock if it wanted to.
                    Not from the tree down the rope route because he would slide off
                    before getting to the entry slit. From the ground I doubt it
                    either. Rest easy! Now Bears, who knows. So far I've never heard
                    of a bear bothering anyone in a hammock. Maybe Ed is on to
                    something. They dont know what to make of an animal sleeping 3 feet
                    off the ground so they steer clear.

                    Coy Boy

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
                    wrote:
                    > Now you guys did it to me. I thought when I got the hammock I
                    would be
                    > free of snakes and critters and what do I read on my first day
                    > here....snakes and critters.
                    >
                    > Cheers, Marge.

                  • J Cornelius
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003

                      I just wanted to reply so you guys knew I was here 8-)  I have no hammock but am very much interested in one so am on this list to read and learn.

                      Jodi who lurks but also tends to run off at the mouth too so be prepared for 1001 questions

                    • David Chinell
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003
                        Here's what I use on most of my weekend expeditions...

                        Nomad Traveler Tropical Hammock
                        Custom 8 x 8 ft silnylon tarp
                        Custom 9 x 12 ft mosquito net
                        Closed-cell foam pad 24 x 60 in
                        Thinsulate poncho liner 7.5 x 5 ft

                        2 10 ft long 1/4-inch tree ropes
                        1 25 ft long paracord ridge line
                        6 10 ft long paracord tarp lines
                        6 aluminum tent pegs
                        4 small binder clips

                        This is just the hammock-based shelter stuff. I also take cooking and clothing and first aid gear, but this is a hammock list, so I'll skip that.

                        I wrap the tree ropes around the tree, then tie the hammock lines to them. This gives me a consistent way to rig the hammock, and distributes the pressure on the bark better. I wrap the tree lines at about eye level. After wrapping, I tie off the tree lines with a square knot. I pull out a bight from the tree line and attach the hammock line using a slipped sheet bend.

                        The ridge line goes up next, tied with a bowline at one end and a tautline at the other. I start with the ridgeline positioned almost as high as I can reach, but use a single, big loop around the trees so I can loosen the line and slide it up and down the trunk as weather dictates.

                        Next the tarp goes up. I pitch the tarp on the diagonal unless there's a really high wind. Usually, I just throw the tarp over the ridge line while I rig it. I could leave the tarp lines attached to the tarp, but I like practicing the knots. Moonbow made the tarp for me. It's square, with tie-outs at the corners and the mid-points of the sides.

                        At the ends of the tarp (the corners at the head and foot of the hammock) I tie on a tarp line using a bowline, making sure to leave some space between the knot and the tie-out. I loop the line around the tree, just above the ridgeline, bring the line back through the loop made by the bowline, and secure it onto the ridgeline using a tautline hitch. I do this so I can adjust the tension of the tarp from under the tarp. This means I can slide the ridgeline and tarp up and down without getting wet.

                        At the sides of the tarp, I tie on a tarp line using a tautline hitch -- again, so I can adjust the tension without getting wet, by reaching out from under the tarp. The side lines run out at right angles to the ridgeline, and I just throw a lark's head knot around the tent peg.

                        At this point I usually take a nap. If it's already cold, I may slide the closed-cell foam pad between the hammock layers. Otherwise, I'll leave the pad out until it gets cold enough to need it. I really prefer the feeling of the hammock without the pad. The pad I use is a cheap, blue, department store pad. I trimmed it to length and rounded the ends. It conforms to the shape of the hammock nicely.

                        The last thing to go on is the mosquito net -- if it's bug season. I made this myself, starting with a 12 ft length of 9-ft wide bridal tulle. Only Illusion brand comes this wide, and it's only available in white or ivory. But it takes Rit die nicely, so I die it dark green. No cutting or sewing is required. The net just drapes over the ridgeline. I clip it at the ends, once in the middle and once just below the hammock to close it off and keep it anchored. There's enough slack to just lift it up to get into or out of the hammock.

                        I use the poncho liner as a quilt. In cold weather -- I'm in Florida, so 40 degrees F is cold -- I'll switch from the poncho liner to a Speer Pea Pod bag. The only drawback to this is that the velcro on the bag will destroy the mosquito net, so it's one or the other, but not both. Fortunately, when it's cold enough to need the Pea Pod, the mosquitoes are generally dormant.

                        That's it. What do you think?

                        Bear

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003
                          Message
                          Sounds like a great setup Bear. Where did you get your hammock?
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003
                            Message
                            Ed:

                            I got it from Brigade Quartermasters:

                            Recently, I found the manufacturer's page as well:

                            It's a dead simple design, but I doubt I could make one better or cheaper. I also like the Crazy Creek model that's similar in design, especially the straps.

                            Bear
                          • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003
                              Ha! I almost forgot about him! Wow, I wonder if he uses a hammock,
                              or are we safe here?

                              I agree with Ed on leaving the pack on the ground. Twice out west, I
                              set my pack down for a short time, and mice chewed their way into
                              it. Got into my gorp, the little @#$%%^%$@!!!!

                              Ed, only once I found a nosy squirrel on the hanging ropes. I wasn't
                              in the hammock at the time. I'm having trouble with the pie
                              tins....don't want to feel like a bird feeder out there!

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003
                                Sorry Marge! Let's not forget spiders from the trees too!!

                              • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 10, 2003
                                  <tcoug7@a...> wrote:

                                  > Ed, only once I found a nosy squirrel on the hanging ropes. I
                                  wasn't
                                  > in the hammock at the time.

                                  I recently had a small bird (Carolina Wren) perch on the breather
                                  hole of my Pea Pod while I was inside! This was beneath the rain
                                  canopy! It woke me up (early dawn) and I looked out to see what it
                                  was. He/she only moved down to my chest and watched me closely. It
                                  flew away when I stuck my head all the way out. Guess it just wanted
                                  to check out the food potential!