questions about winter hammock

    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 11, 2005
      i missed that about the insulation width. i`d agree w/ rick. i found
      that when testing mine at 22 degrees in the back yard, i defanantly
      wanted a good amount of insulation on the sides. mabey even a little
      more than the very bottom where i`m well insulated by the pad. my
      kness & shoulders would sometimes press & compress the insulation of
      the quilt on the sides. also, the width of my hammock as a whole
      (48") is pushing it imo. if the hammock is to narrow, it`s much easyer
      for the quilt edges to come untucked when i turn. plus, having a few
      extra inches of wall coming up above you on each side when there`s a
      cold breeze is a good thing. if you don`t mind marta (so i don`t
      have to go do the math), about how much is that package of materials
      costing you? thanks...tim
    • marta_clark
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 11, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:

        > if you don`t mind marta (so i don`t
        > have to go do the math), about how much is that package of materials
        > costing you? thanks...tim

        I haven't actually placed the order yet, since they aren't open on
        Sundays, but I'm estimating about $110 for the material and insulation
        (4 yds. of 3 oz. and 2 yds. of 4 oz.), including a 1094 yd. spool of
        black thread. This does not include shipping and any tax, or material
        for a new rainfly or storage skins.

        Thanks for the additional feedback, Tim, Rick, and Jeff.

        Marta
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 11, 2005
          Sounds high, but I don't insulate for the length of the hammock
          that you are intending. I only insulate the middle 4 feet.

          Rick

          marta_clark wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> if you don`t mind marta (so i don`t
          >>have to go do the math), about how much is that package of materials
          >>costing you? thanks...tim
          >>

          > I haven't actually placed the order yet, since they aren't open on
          > Sundays, but I'm estimating about $110 for the material and insulation
          > (4 yds. of 3 oz. and 2 yds. of 4 oz.), including a 1094 yd. spool of
          > black thread. This does not include shipping and any tax, or material
          > for a new rainfly or storage skins.
          >
          > Thanks for the additional feedback, Tim, Rick, and Jeff.
          >
          > Marta
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 11, 2005

            > Sounds high, but I don't insulate for the length of the hammock
            > that you are intending. I only insulate the middle 4 feet.

            I like to stretch out without my feet getting cold, so mine has
            insulation for about 75" length, I think. The synthetic one was too
            bulky that way...that's why I made the down one.

            Plus, with Ed's 900fp down it was lighter and had more loft.

            Jeff
          • marta_clark
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005

              > Sounds high, but I don't insulate for the length of the hammock
              > that you are intending. I only insulate the middle 4 feet.
              >
              > Rick

              The first run-through on the porch hammock only had 4 feet of
              insulation, but I must sleep more stretched out than you do because it
              wasn't enough. Maybe that's why I think I can get away with a
              narrower, but longer, insulated area. (Time will tell whether this
              actually works.)

              The cost does seem high. I may end up with a fair amount of leftover
              fabric.

              I have not yet tried your system of whipping the ends of the hammock,
              Rick. How long do you make the hammock when you do the ends that way?

              Marta
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                yep... were talking about two types of hammocks. the winter hammock
                i`m working on is insulated from well above the head, to well below
                the feet. it`s for very cold weather. it`s more like a sleeping bag or
                pea pod & hammock made as one unit. i don`t belive anyone would take a
                hammock w/ only 4' of insulation into winter conditions. that`s what
                i`m talking about... a true winter hammock. now come spring time, i
                plan to make a warm hammock for the other seasons. ...tim
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                  I usually use my coat to insulate below my feet and calves for
                  very cold weather. However, it gets old keeping the coat under
                  my feet. I can see advantage of running a triangle of insulation
                  out another 18 inches on each end. It does not need to be full
                  width, because the sides gather up so much. That would keep legs
                  and head warm and toasty.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                    I cut the hammock 9 feet long. For tied ends, I cut them 10 feet
                    long.

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                      I slept the other night very comfortably in a warm hammock with a
                      48 inch long and 42 inch wide patch of quilted insulation. I put
                      my jacket under my feet and was wearing a woolly hat to insulate
                      my head. I was using the Golite Feather down bag as a quilt
                      (rated as a 20 degree bag - it has 16 ounces of down) and a
                      travel pod over the whole. I wore a sweater and thin wool pants
                      with wool socks.

                      Temperature was 12 degrees with no wind. The only time I have
                      ever had a problem with cold on my calves or heels was when the
                      temperature was significantly below 0. But for temperatures
                      below 30, using a jacket for foot insulation is important to me.

                      Rick

                      tim garner wrote:
                      > yep... were talking about two types of hammocks. the winter hammock
                      > i`m working on is insulated from well above the head, to well below
                      > the feet. it`s for very cold weather. it`s more like a sleeping bag or
                      > pea pod & hammock made as one unit. i don`t belive anyone would take a
                      > hammock w/ only 4' of insulation into winter conditions. that`s what
                      > i`m talking about... a true winter hammock. now come spring time, i
                      > plan to make a warm hammock for the other seasons. ...tim
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • rexhardy2003
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                        Rick,

                        In looking at your Travel Pod on your website I have a couple of
                        questions. I believe that I could do the sewing but before I try your
                        input will help.

                        1. How long of a zipper did you use and did you find it locally or
                        did you have to special order?

                        2. What is your preferred additional insulation with the Travel Pod.

                        3. Do you see any reason you could not use velcro instead of buttons
                        at the top? My sewing machine doesn't do button holes.

                        We are considering a hike in January and I know we have a camping
                        trip in February so I think I would hav time to make this before then.

                        Thanks for your help.

                        Rex

                        > I slept the other night very comfortably in a warm hammock with a
                        > 48 inch long and 42 inch wide patch of quilted insulation. I put
                        > my jacket under my feet and was wearing a woolly hat to insulate
                        > my head. I was using the Golite Feather down bag as a quilt
                        > (rated as a 20 degree bag - it has 16 ounces of down) and a
                        > travel pod over the whole. I wore a sweater and thin wool pants
                        > with wool socks.
                        >
                        > Temperature was 12 degrees with no wind. The only time I have
                        > ever had a problem with cold on my calves or heels was when the
                        > temperature was significantly below 0. But for temperatures
                        > below 30, using a jacket for foot insulation is important to me.
                        >
                        > Rick
                        >
                        > tim garner wrote:
                        > > yep... were talking about two types of hammocks. the winter
                        hammock
                        > > i`m working on is insulated from well above the head, to well
                        below
                        > > the feet. it`s for very cold weather. it`s more like a sleeping
                        bag or
                        > > pea pod & hammock made as one unit. i don`t belive anyone would
                        take a
                        > > hammock w/ only 4' of insulation into winter conditions. that`s
                        what
                        > > i`m talking about... a true winter hammock. now come spring time,
                        > > plan to make a warm hammock for the other seasons. ...tim
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • rexhardy2003
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                          Rick,

                          I posted to soon. I see the part about the velcro but I'm still
                          interested in the other questions. Thanks.

                          Rex

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003"

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                            bill... just a few thoughts. not only will doing the insulation in a
                            way as to end up w/ the boat shape, shave weight, but it`ll be a
                            better fit as you lay in the hammock... more effective in traping your
                            body heat. when i loaded the hammock w/ stuff to strech it`s fabric
                            out fully, that alowed for any tossing & turning & streching the
                            hammock this way & that w/ your knees,etc. so if the insulation is
                            fitted while the hammock is streched out, a person should not be able
                            to further strech (& compress) the insulation when moving around &
                            changing positions in the hammock. same principal for the shell. in
                            my thinking, using stuff instead of a person, alows you to strech the
                            hammock body more fully & for a longer time while you work on it.
                            for the insulation, i started by clothes pining the insulation to the
                            hammock edges on both sides & let it hang down. then i brought it
                            together in the center (bottom) & joined it w/ saftey pins. then i
                            went back & sewed it by hand (while it was hanging) making large
                            loops. then cut away the excess. you can go back & do another loop-d-
                            loop down the center for extra strength. now you have an insulator in
                            the shape of your hammock at it`s fullest. ...tim
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                              In line...

                              rexhardy2003 wrote:
                              > Rick,
                              >
                              > In looking at your Travel Pod on your website I have a couple of
                              > questions. I believe that I could do the sewing but before I try your
                              > input will help.
                              >
                              > 1. How long of a zipper did you use and did you find it locally or
                              > did you have to special order?

                              96 inch zipper.
                              http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippers.htm#TWO%20WAY%20SEPARATING%20ZIPPERS

                              > 2. What is your preferred additional insulation with the Travel Pod.

                              It is an uninsulated layer that goes over my hammock and quilt.
                              I have found that there is no need for the additional insulation
                              I originally thought about putting in the bottom.

                              > 3. Do you see any reason you could not use velcro instead of buttons
                              > at the top? My sewing machine doesn't do button holes.

                              Velcro would work, but since the opening sometimes touches my
                              face, I would not want the hook part of the velcro on my face, so
                              it would need to be short. I think the buttons could be replaced
                              with about 12 inches of velcro.

                              > We are considering a hike in January and I know we have a camping
                              > trip in February so I think I would hav time to make this before then.

                              Practice with it before the trip.

                              > Thanks for your help.
                              >
                              > Rex

                            • Bill in Houston
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                                Thanks Tim. Did you use something heavy to stretch it (like 25 gallon
                                jugs of water) or just something bulky, like pillows? How much
                                insulation thickness do you have?

                                Bill in Houston

                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                                  bill... i started w/ foam pads (including 2 half pads sideways), then added pillows & blankets. i did use a stuffed foot stoll to add some weight, but i didn`t try to match my weight. it was pretty well streched. this works fine for fitting the insulation(like i described in the last post), but where it gets a little more challanging is adding the quilting loops. i just took the stuff out & started quilting at the bottom, working my way up. i ended up w/ about 1" of insulation. late for work... later.

                                  Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote: Thanks Tim. Did you use something heavy to stretch it (like 25 gallon

                                  wrote:
                                  > bill... just a few thoughts. not only will doing the insulation in
                                  > way as to end up w/ the boat shape, shave weight, but it`ll be a
                                  > better fit as you lay in the hammock... more effective in traping
                                  your
                                  > body heat. <snip>
                                  > for the insulation, i started by clothes pining the insulation to
                                  the
                                  > hammock edges on both sides & let it hang down. then i brought it
                                  > together in the center (bottom) <snip>. now you have an insulator in
                                  > the shape of your hammock at it`s fullest. ...tim

                                  tim garner

                                • Bill in Houston
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                                    One last question, and then I will be quiet until I really start to
                                    build this thing. What total insulation thickness did you use? Jeff,
                                    Rick, Marta, Tim, others... And what do you estimate your lower
                                    temperature limit to be without a pad, pod, taco, bumpers, or other
                                    additional help?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Bill in Houston
                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                                      > One last question, and then I will be quiet until I really start
                                      > build this thing. What total insulation thickness did you use?
                                      Jeff,
                                      > Rick, Marta, Tim, others... And what do you estimate your lower
                                      > temperature limit to be without a pad, pod, taco, bumpers, or
                                      other
                                      > additional help?

                                      On my synthetic one, I used two layers of 1.3" Primaloft. I think I
                                      would have been good to about 20 F, maybe, but I never tested it
                                      that low and now I've taken it apart.

                                      On the down one, it's kinda hit or miss depending on how the stretch
                                      comes out. I planned on 3+", but it came out more like 1 on the
                                      first go-round. Haven't prototyped my new idea yet, but it'll
                                      include a huge bottom cover that I can trim later if needed. Easier
                                      to get a custom fit that way, and easier than trying to figure out
                                      the math of a 3D shape with consistent 3" spacing on a dynamic
                                      body. (I'm a Political Science major!)

                                      Jeff
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                                        Personally I would not camp below 40 degrees without a pod. Wind
                                        can rob heat like crazy without one.

                                        For a winter hammock, an inch and a half of insulation is very
                                        good, if held right up against the hammock. For a summer
                                        hammock, a half inch is enough.

                                        Rick

                                        Bill in Houston wrote:
                                        > One last question, and then I will be quiet until I really start to
                                        > build this thing. What total insulation thickness did you use? Jeff,
                                        > Rick, Marta, Tim, others... And what do you estimate your lower
                                        > temperature limit to be without a pad, pod, taco, bumpers, or other
                                        > additional help?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Bill in Houston
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Bill in Houston
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                                          Thanks for the answers on thickness. And the tip on the pod, wind,
                                          etc.

                                          This quote reminded me how incredibly different our weather is here
                                          than in much of the country.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                                              <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                                              > One last question, and then I will be quiet until I really start
                                              > build this thing. What total insulation thickness did you use?
                                              Jeff,
                                              > Rick, Marta, Tim, others... And what do you estimate your lower
                                              > temperature limit to be without a pad, pod, taco, bumpers, or
                                              other
                                              > additional help?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Bill in Houston

                                              On the prototype hammock, there are about 2.5" of insulation over
                                              most of the insulated area, with a small section of 1" insulation on
                                              the edges. When the temperatures were in the low 20s, I could feel
                                              cold through the 1" area. For the prototype, the insulation is the
                                              same Fairfield, high-loft quilt batting Tim used.

                                              When I visited my mother over Thanksgiving, she mentioned that the
                                              premium quilt batting for lightweight warmth is wool batting. I
                                              will probably order some from a quilting supplier at some point to
                                              see where it fits on the scale of battings. I can't imagine that
                                              it's as light at PrimaLoft and similar, but I like the idea of the
                                              lower-tech, more natural material.

                                              When I have tested the prototype, there has been no wind at all. I
                                              did not use any sort of pod or exterior covering.
                                            • Bill in Houston
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@y...>
                                                wrote:
                                                > On the prototype hammock, there are about 2.5" of insulation over
                                                > most of the insulated area, with a small section of 1" insulation on
                                                > the edges. When the temperatures were in the low 20s, I could feel
                                                > cold through the 1" area. For the prototype, the insulation is the
                                                > same Fairfield, high-loft quilt batting Tim used.

                                                Thanks Marta and Tim!

                                                Bill in Houston