Double walled hammock?

  • Per-Arne Asp
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
      Just an idea (feel free to use):

      Would it be possible to make a (Ed Speer style) hammock of two thin pieces of fabric instead of one thicker piece? That way it should be possible to insert your pad between the two pieces of fabric. Anyone tried? Good/bad idea? What do you think?

      regards
      p-a

      http://www.asp.st
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Take nothing but memories
      Leave nothing but footprints
      Kill nothing but time
      Above all, have fun"

      Visit: http://www.reemst.com/calvin_and_hobbes/comics/cstrips/pics/last2.gif
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
        Message
        Good suggestion p-a, but I haven't tried it yet since the final hammock would probably be heavier than my single layer 1.9 ripstop ones, but that dosen't mean it dosen't have merit. The lightest ripstop I've tried is 1.1 (as in silnylon tarps); using two layers would give more weigt than the single 1.9 stuff.  Lighter ripstop nylon is available, but extremely expensive, so I haven't tried it; so suitable lighter, inexpensive, but stronger fabrics  may not be available? At least I haven't found them yet.

        This is essentially what several others are doing with the under shells (ie Garlington Insulators).

        Are you planning to try two layers built into the basic hammock?   Would love to know how it works...Ed

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
          > The lightest ripstop I've tried is 1.1 (as in silnylon
          > tarps); using two layers would give more weigt than the
          > single 1.9 stuff. Lighter ripstop nylon is available, but
          > extremely expensive, so I haven't tried it; so suitable
          > lighter, inexpensive, but stronger fabrics may not be
          > available? At least I haven't found them yet.

          Some ages ago, I found a bolt of black silk at a discount shop, bought it,
          and made a hammock out of it. It was very light and extremely comfortable.
          The silk was certainly strong enough, but I imagine that if you bought it
          retail the price would be exorbitant...

          Shane
        • sm4inv
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
            Well, I'm a 100+ kg guy so I was thinking of using Nylon 100 g/sq.m.,
            but then maybe 2 pieces of 50 gr/sq.m. would work OK? Sorry for SI-
            units.

            //p-a
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
              P-A and Ed,

              I have thought of this as well... using the slot to put the pad in
              so I don't have to be against the pad itself.. Your idea of using
              1.1 oz material, double is quite interesting.. Not much heavier, but
              maybe more useful.

              BTW, I sent away for $60 bucks of stuff to build the hammock I
              described the other day... one without velcro and with a permanently
              attached (one side) bug net. More later.

              The more I thought about the method of stretching the bug net, the
              more excited I have become. It is based on the simple fact that the
              cord of any circle segment is shorter than the segment. Hence the
              ridgeline (cord) will be tighter than the attachment to the edge of
              the hammock.

              > Good suggestion p-a, but I haven't tried it yet since the final
              hammock
              > would probably be heavier than my single layer 1.9 ripstop ones, but
              > that dosen't mean it dosen't have merit. The lightest ripstop I've
              tried
              > is 1.1 (as in silnylon tarps); using two layers would give more
              weigt
              > than the single 1.9 stuff. Lighter ripstop nylon is available, but
              > extremely expensive, so I haven't tried it; so suitable lighter,
              > inexpensive, but stronger fabrics may not be available? At least I
              > haven't found them yet.
              >
              > This is essentially what several others are doing with the under
              shells
              > (ie Garlington Insulators).
              >
              > Are you planning to try two layers built into the basic hammock?
              Would
              > love to know how it works...Ed

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=17
              05
              > 065843:HM/A=1555962/R=0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?
              1800f

              lowers2+shopping:dmad/M=232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1
              70

              5065843:HM/A=1555962/R=1/1051637210+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http:/
              /w

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                Message

                Hammock Camping  (the book)
                The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom

                Speer Hammocks, Inc
                Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                34 Clear Creek Road
                Marion, NC 28752-6407
                828.724.4444

                Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                free online newsletter

                Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                  Message
                  OK, maybe this post will work

                  I've searched for suitable silk fabric for hammocks--the promise of lightweight & strong is real. But I only found VERY expensive silks, thus I've never tried any. I'm always on the lookout for the right price...Ed

                  > The lightest ripstop I've tried is 1.1 (as in silnylon
                  > tarps); using two layers would give more weigt than the
                  > single 1.9 stuff.  Lighter ripstop nylon is available, but
                  > extremely expensive, so I haven't tried it; so suitable
                  > lighter, inexpensive, but stronger fabrics  may not be
                  > available? At least I haven't found them yet.

                  Some ages ago, I found a bolt of black silk at a discount shop, bought it,
                  and made a hammock out of it.  It was very light and extremely comfortable.
                  The silk was certainly strong enough, but I imagine that if you bought it
                  retail the price would be exorbitant...

                  Shane

                • Debra Weisenstein
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                    The Crazy Crib basic hammock is as you describe, 2 pieces of fabric
                    with one long edge open so a pad can be inserted. It's heavier than a
                    Speer hammock (I believe the fabric is a taffeta, not a ripstop
                    nylon). I do put my pad between the fabric layers, as the nylon feels
                    better against my skin and the pad doesn't shift around. You can get
                    1.1 oz breathable ripstop from the usual suppliers (OWF, Quest, etc.)
                    so the weight would only be slightly greater than with a single layer
                    of 1.9 ripstop.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Per-Arne Asp"

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                      Message
                      pa, the greater weight should be more than strong enough. 100g/sq m is about 3 oz/sq yd--much stronger than my 1.9 oz/sq yd hammocks (good up to 250 lbs).  The 50 is about 1.5 oz/sq yd and will probably be ok if used double. Be sure and have no stitching under stress in the hammock--use end knots to avoid stitching...Ed

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                        I used a two-layer home made Speer hammock on a recent thru-hike of
                        the Benton MacKaye Trail in GA & TN. I used two layers of 1.9 oz rip-
                        stop nylon with DWR finish (that was the only material I had). It
                        worked very well. It did a good job of holding the padding in place,
                        it was more comfortable than sleeping directly on the pads, it was
                        much easier to move about in the hammock so switching from side to
                        back was pretty easy and there didn't seem to be any moisture build-
                        up on my backside. I have been planning on ordering enough 1.1 oz
                        material to make one out of that. I used two pieces cut to the same
                        dimensions and let the knot hold them together and only the outer
                        material had velcro for the bug netting. (I only used the bug
                        netting for about 2 hours on the 7 night trip). So yeah, I have
                        tried it and it worked really well. I got the idea from an
                        inexpensive "twin-layer hammock" that I bought last year that was
                        very un-impressive, except for the two-layer concept.

                        Youngblood

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                          One other thing that I forgot to mention was that it makes it easy to
                          stuff unused clothing between the two layers for insulation. It also
                          makes it easy to use single sections of a z-rest for extra shoulder
                          padding.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                            Thank you for all the answers. Everyone seems to agree (?) that its
                            doable but with a slight increase in weight...

                            //p-a
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                              Message
                              Sounds really good Youngblood. Sorry you didn't get to make the 2nd Chattooga River trip--would loved to have seen that hammock...Ed