Re: Cold Back Poser

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2005
      Hi Mike,

      I don't have any insight other than to say, I have had this same
      problem with a very simular set up. For me, I think it's the build
      up on the foam from my sweat. I sort of get damp then I get cold.
      Even in wicking clothing I have had this problem.

      Nice to see a fellow AZer btw.
      Jamie in AZ

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Swaine" <mswaine@c...>
      wrote:

      > Well guys (and gals), I've been lurking here for a couple of years
      soaking up all sorts of
      > hammock knowledge and finally have a poser I need advice on.
      >
      > First, by way of background my camping experience spans 15 years
      with a very active -
      > once a month campouts year round - Boy Scout troop here in Phoenix
      and have been
      > hammocking at least half that time (with a few ground-based
      overnights just to remind
      > myself how great a hammock really is). I have not posted often
      because Arizona doesn't
      > offer the extremes in temps that I read about on the AT, so I have
      little to offer on
      > surviving the cold. My current rig is a Hennesey (original
      Expedition) which has served me
      > well for 4 years, with no sign of fatigue.
      >
      > On this last weekends campout we hiked to an old mining ghost town
      call Copper Creek
      > where temps plunged to 37 degrees. Under me inside the hammock is
      a 3/8x24x72
      > closed cell foam pad (Target), which I fold in half. This covers
      me from my shoulders to
      > just below my butt. For width coverage at the shoulders I tuck
      (horizontally) another
      > piece,16x36 of the same 3/8 foam between the folded pad to form
      a "T". Surprisingly, I
      > get very little slippage even though I may occasionally flop from
      side to side during the
      > night - generally I sleep on my back. My bag is a early 90's
      vintage Peak One zero degree
      > synthetic, with admittedly some loss in loft over the years, so in
      reality it's probably no
      > better than a 20 degree bag. I use it as a quilt over me with my
      feet in the foot-box and
      > the bag open, tucked at my sides. I may supplement this with a
      fleece liner and fleece
      > blanket or two. Polyester long-johns under street cloths and wool
      socks is normal sleeping
      > attire.
      >
      > Now for my poser. Long about one or two in the morning I woke up
      with an
      > uncomfortable cold sensation at my back. This has happened before
      but not to the point
      > of being so uncomfortable. Now I'm lying there thinking, no way
      is 37 degrees
      > penetrating three layers of closed cell foam, so what gives? Then
      I'm thinking
      > condensation (but there is very little humidity) or maybe sweat.
      Now on this trip I
      > happened to have a cotton t-shirt under the poly long-john top so
      I took it off, put the