Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Help

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2005
      So since I needed to redo my hammock I did some figuring. Math was
      never my major so you've been warned.

      I used the fabric weight calculator on pg 115 of the book and figured
      my 100% polyester to be 1.5 Oz/yd squared. I weigh 185 lbs and have
      put up to 220 lbs in it.

      Is there a chart somewhere that shows if you weigh x amount look for
      fabric at this weight?

      There is a chart on the previous page but it says 70 denier and I dont
      have that.

      I've slept in it one night, and have sat in it numerous times for up
      to an hour a time and had my 4 YO in there with me (to get it
      to220ish) and it has not ripped yet.

      Thanks,
      Brian
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
        Brian, I think what you can get away with varies with how careful you
        are and the exact construction of the hammock. I have a 1.1oz double
        layer hammock that ended up with a huge crossways rip in it from 135-
        150 lb women getting in and out of it, after surviving plenty of time
        with my 175 lbs in it. I sewed a repair in it, and on our last trip,
        ended up with me and my son in it (he had a scary dream) and our 250
        lbs didn't cause any problem.

        To me, that says that you ought to be okay, at least for a while,
        with the 1.5 oz.

        If you still aren't sure, sit in it and bounce, and then lie in it
        and then flop around like a mackerel in a boat. Oh, wait, put couch
        cushions underneath you first. If it survives that, I think you're
        golden.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@g...>

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
          Thanks, I have bounced and swung in it.

          I've also rolled out of it. While messing with it to try and get it fixed
          prior to retying, I rolled out and onto the 2x4 support at the bottom of my
          hammock stand. Luckily it wasnt far about a foot or so. LOL It was still
          funny.

          I do feel pretty safe with it.

          Brian

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
            That makes you officially the only person we have ever heard of
            falling out of a camping hammock. You always were exceptional. :-)

            Glad you got that fixed. Seems like different types of whipping,
            folding, knotting, etc might be more or less susceptible to that...

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
              Naw, Jodi had fallen out previously. And she is a person.

              Rick

              Bill in Houston wrote:
              > That makes you officially the only person we have ever heard of
              > falling out of a camping hammock. You always were exceptional. :-)
              >
              > Glad you got that fixed. Seems like different types of whipping,
              > folding, knotting, etc might be more or less susceptible to that...
              >
              > Bill in Houston
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@g...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >>Thanks, I have bounced and swung in it.
              >>
              >>I've also rolled out of it. While messing with it to try and get it
              >
              > fixed
              >
              >>prior to retying, I rolled out and onto the 2x4 support at the
              >
              > bottom of my
              >
              >>hammock stand. Luckily it wasnt far about a foot or so. LOL It was
              >
              > still
              >
              >>funny.
              >>
              >>I do feel pretty safe with it.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                On 12/5/05, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                > Naw, Jodi had fallen out previously. And she is a person.
                >
                > Rick

                But she is a blond person.

                Ralph
              • RevT
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                  I was blonde when younger...and I can give Coy Boy a run for his
                  money...Speakin of which he fell out of one too I recall......

                  Brian

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                    wrote:

                    > I was blonde when younger...and I can give Coy Boy a run for his
                    > money...Speakin of which he fell out of one too I recall......

                    Yeah, but he was fighting off that bear that stole Suess's thumb...
                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                      Oh, yeah. I sit corrected.

                      Bill in Houston

                      > Naw, Jodi had fallen out previously. And she is a person.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > Bill in Houston wrote:
                      > > That makes you officially the only person we have ever heard of
                      > > falling out of a camping hammock.
                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                        dont make me pull out any of my Foghorn Leghorn quotes...

                        Coy Boy