Re: [Hammock Camping] mr speer

  • Scot Leibacher
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2005
      Coincidentally,
      We (my sister, brother and myself) just spent a few hours last Monday at a place
      in Hiddenite, NC "mining" for gems. Actually we were walking along water run-offs
      picking small rocks up off the the dark red clay. We did find one small ruby, one very
      small emerald, several small pieces of amethist and lots of different colored quartz and
      "fools gold". Of course you don't know this till you go to the "sloushing" lines and thoroughly
      wash the stones covered in the thick clay.

      Just to keep on topic... we were going to spend the night using our hammocks at the
      primitive camp site at the gem mine but the forcast was for a low of 29 degrees and we
      were not outfitted for these temperatures (we were on our way down to camp in southern
      Florida) so we opted for a nearby motel for that night.