Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Help

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2005
      Well I retied the hammock in the way the book describes to make some
      sides....The sides are WAY to high. LOL so seeing how it is 1100 at
      night I decided not to mess with it tonight.

      It did fix the problem though, the hammock felt straight.

      Thanks for the help,
      Brian
    • RevT
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2005
        So since I needed to redo my hammock I did some figuring. Math was
        never my major so you've been warned.

        I used the fabric weight calculator on pg 115 of the book and figured
        my 100% polyester to be 1.5 Oz/yd squared. I weigh 185 lbs and have
        put up to 220 lbs in it.

        Is there a chart somewhere that shows if you weigh x amount look for
        fabric at this weight?

        There is a chart on the previous page but it says 70 denier and I dont
        have that.

        I've slept in it one night, and have sat in it numerous times for up
        to an hour a time and had my 4 YO in there with me (to get it
        to220ish) and it has not ripped yet.

        Thanks,
        Brian
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
          Brian, I think what you can get away with varies with how careful you
          are and the exact construction of the hammock. I have a 1.1oz double
          layer hammock that ended up with a huge crossways rip in it from 135-
          150 lb women getting in and out of it, after surviving plenty of time
          with my 175 lbs in it. I sewed a repair in it, and on our last trip,
          ended up with me and my son in it (he had a scary dream) and our 250
          lbs didn't cause any problem.

          To me, that says that you ought to be okay, at least for a while,
          with the 1.5 oz.

          If you still aren't sure, sit in it and bounce, and then lie in it
          and then flop around like a mackerel in a boat. Oh, wait, put couch
          cushions underneath you first. If it survives that, I think you're
          golden.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@g...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
            Thanks, I have bounced and swung in it.

            I've also rolled out of it. While messing with it to try and get it fixed
            prior to retying, I rolled out and onto the 2x4 support at the bottom of my
            hammock stand. Luckily it wasnt far about a foot or so. LOL It was still
            funny.

            I do feel pretty safe with it.

            Brian

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
              That makes you officially the only person we have ever heard of
              falling out of a camping hammock. You always were exceptional. :-)

              Glad you got that fixed. Seems like different types of whipping,
              folding, knotting, etc might be more or less susceptible to that...

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                Naw, Jodi had fallen out previously. And she is a person.

                Rick

                Bill in Houston wrote:
                > That makes you officially the only person we have ever heard of
                > falling out of a camping hammock. You always were exceptional. :-)
                >
                > Glad you got that fixed. Seems like different types of whipping,
                > folding, knotting, etc might be more or less susceptible to that...
                >
                > Bill in Houston
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@g...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >>Thanks, I have bounced and swung in it.
                >>
                >>I've also rolled out of it. While messing with it to try and get it
                >
                > fixed
                >
                >>prior to retying, I rolled out and onto the 2x4 support at the
                >
                > bottom of my
                >
                >>hammock stand. Luckily it wasnt far about a foot or so. LOL It was
                >
                > still
                >
                >>funny.
                >>
                >>I do feel pretty safe with it.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                  On 12/5/05, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                  > Naw, Jodi had fallen out previously. And she is a person.
                  >
                  > Rick

                  But she is a blond person.

                  Ralph
                • RevT
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                    I was blonde when younger...and I can give Coy Boy a run for his
                    money...Speakin of which he fell out of one too I recall......

                    Brian

                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                      wrote:

                      > I was blonde when younger...and I can give Coy Boy a run for his
                      > money...Speakin of which he fell out of one too I recall......

                      Yeah, but he was fighting off that bear that stole Suess's thumb...
                    • Bill in Houston
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                        Oh, yeah. I sit corrected.

                        Bill in Houston

                        > Naw, Jodi had fallen out previously. And she is a person.
                        >
                        > Rick
                        >
                        > Bill in Houston wrote:
                        > > That makes you officially the only person we have ever heard of
                        > > falling out of a camping hammock.
                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                          dont make me pull out any of my Foghorn Leghorn quotes...

                          Coy Boy