Re: change of plan

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
      <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
      > Apparently
      > the polyester thread was stronger than the fabric and the strength
      > of the stitching ripped a spot.

      Using a zig-zag stitch can accommodate for different fabric and thread
      strengths. It might help for this application.

      Jeff
    • marta_clark
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2005

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
        > <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
        > > Apparently
        > > the polyester thread was stronger than the fabric and the strength
        > > of the stitching ripped a spot.
        >
        > Using a zig-zag stitch can accommodate for different fabric and
        thread
        > strengths. It might help for this application.
        >
        > Jeff

        I did use a long, loose zigzag stitch to attach the panel. Naturally
        the bobbin ran out partway through the stitching, so I had to reload
        and continue. I think the spot the hammock ripped was where I had
        started sewing again. There was about an inch where there were two
        lines of overlapping stitching, which also happened to be right near
        the centerline of the hammock.

        I spent last night in the hammock. The insulation worked excellently
        on the denim hammock. The temperature hovered around 40 all night,
        very raw and damp. I was toasty.

        Part of the hammock had many layers of quilt batting (about 2.5") but
        towards the top and bottom I had tapered it off to two layers (about
        an inch). I did not notice any cold making it through the thinner
        area. If my shoulder strayed onto uninsulated hammock, though, it was
        like having an ice cube pressed against me.

        Last night I was studying on the problem of properly placing the
        insulation and sizing the outer layer, while lying in the hammock. I
        came up with a revised plan of attack for making the next insulated
        hammock. I think constructing it in this order will help me get the
        insulation in the right place on the hammock and help me make the
        outer layer loose enough but not too loose. This is a blinding flash
        of the obvious, but somehow it didn't strike me until after I've been
        messing around for a while.

        1) Order the lightweight fabric and insulation for a camping hammock.
        2) Make the hammock and hang it on the porch. Have someone lie down
        in it.
        3) As the tester moves into typical hammock sleeping positions, mark
        the outer edges of where their body presses against the fabric.
        4) Take the hammock to the sewing room and attach the insulation,
        quilting it loosely to the hammock bed.
        5) Rehang the hammock, have the tester lie down in it again, and fit
        the outer layer of DWR fabric to the underside. Probably I will sew
        the outer layer to the edges of the hammock and not just around the
        edges of the insulation, given the problem I had with the test hammock.

        Do you think the quilting stitches which will attach the insulation to
        the hammock bed will cause the ripstop nylon to rip?

        I also thought a little about modifications to my existing Speer
        hammock. It struck me that in the cold weather I could use the long
        Velcro strips to attach things to the underside of the hammock. I
        have already considered putting a few spots of Velcro teeth to the Pea
        Pod to make it snug up against the bottom of the hammock to eliminate
        big air pockets, but I hadn't followed through on the thought to the
        realization that I have the soft side of the Velcro already there on
        the hammock. Duh!

        I also gave a few moments thought to various ways of attaching the
        gray pad to the underside of the hammock, using the Velcro strips. A
        few broad, soft bands, with Velcro on the ends, might work.

        Marta
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2005
          Roger Moore played the Saint on TV

          TV
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2005
            <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
            > Naturally
            > the bobbin ran out partway through the stitching

            Naturally... :)

            > This is a blinding flash of the obvious, but somehow it didn't
            strike me until after I've been messing around for a while.

            Funny how that works, no?

            > Do you think the quilting stitches which will attach the
            insulation to
            > the hammock bed will cause the ripstop nylon to rip?

            What kind of quilting stitches? I just use Jardine-style quilting
            loops and haven't had a problem.

            > It struck me that in the cold weather I could use the long
            > Velcro strips to attach things to the underside of the hammock.

            When I made my down hammock, I noticed I was sleeping directly on
            the baffle seams...I think that will be a problem so I came up with
            a new design to fix it (that I haven't prototyped yet). If your
            velcro seams are right under your body in the Speer, you might have
            an issue with different stretch rates and with your body rubbing
            against the seams.

            > I also gave a few moments thought to various ways of attaching the
            > gray pad to the underside of the hammock, using the Velcro
            strips. A
            > few broad, soft bands, with Velcro on the ends, might work.

            It would have to be some very strong velcro to keep a CCF pad from
            creating air gaps...not sure how well that would work. Only one way
            to find out! Let us know if you try it.

            Adding a pad pocket to the underside wouldn't be much more weight
            than the velcro, if any, and would ensure a snug fit.

            Jeff
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2005
              <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
              > the bobbin ran out partway through the stitching, so I had to reload
              > and continue. I think the spot the hammock ripped was where I had
              > started sewing again. There was about an inch where there were two
              > lines of overlapping stitching, which also happened to be right near
              > the centerline of the hammock.

              I actually read all of this stuuf and try to follow along. As a total
              NON-SEWER, my bet would be that the extra "needle holes" have caused
              the fabric to fail. I have seen several cautions about the needle
              hole problems.

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Fuzzy