Self stretching bug net II

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 8:11 AM
      Second chapter on the self stretching bug net...

      I also did some thinking about why my bug net stretches from one end
      of the hammock to the other without a ridge line... I discovered a
      neat little piece of geometry which may help some you as hammock
      builders.

      For this thought experiment, your home-made hammock long edge is 10
      feet long during construction. You build a bug net which you hope
      will cover the kayak shaped top opening of the hammock so that there
      is a curved edge. The long curve is bowed out 14-18 inches at its
      center, and the curve is 10 feet long. You sew the two ten foot
      lengths together on one edge of the hammock. Now you knot the ends
      of the hammock material and leave most of the bug net free.

      When you stretch out the hammock, the bug net will keep you from
      stretching the hammock out along its 10 foot (shortened by the knots)
      edges... They will be hung in a proper hammock shape, but the top
      ridge of the bug net will be nice and tight, from one end of the
      hammock to the other... Voila! an improved bug net system. Then
      either use velcro to close the open side or a weighted stuff sack to
      hold it closed. This decreases the weight of the hammock by the
      weight of ~19 feet of velcro and gets rid of those nasty sharp edges
      of the velcro strip which seem ready to cut the hammock material or
      your elbow.

      It also makes the hammock cheaper by 20 feet of velcro.

      Rick<><