Self stretching bug net

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2003
      I also did a little experimenting with bug netting over the weekend.

      It occurred to me that the weight of a hammock could be improved a
      bit if you could make it without velcro and without a zipper.

      When I visiteed with Chad, "The One" on the AT a couple weeks ago,
      who was using a Crazy Creek hammock, he mentioned that the nylon top
      shell draped over him. He had found that he could use a little stone
      and his waterbottle as a weight to hold the top shell in place when
      it was windy.

      So on Saturday, I took my Speer type hammock and kept one side of the
      football shaped bug net attached with velcro and took the other side
      and sinched a smooth stone with the drawstring of the hammock's stuff
      sack through the surface of the bug net near the center of the other
      side. Inside the stuff sack, I put my water bottle. Instead of
      hooking that side's velcro, I just let the weight of the water bottle
      hold the bug netting against the side of the hammock. It seemed to
      make a bug proof overlapping seam which would not need velcro to keep
      it closed against mosquitoes or black flies. It was also easy to
      really open the bug net by taking the water bottle filled stuff sack
      and hanging it over the other side of the hammock...

      More experiments to occur in the future...

      Rick <><
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2003
        Message
        Rick with all this experimenting, you're bound to come up with some better ideas--thanks for the updates...Ed

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2003
          Rick:

          I use a 9 x 9 ft or 9 x 12 ft rectangle of bridal tulle as a
          bug net with my simple hammocks.

          I drape the netting over a ridgeline, and use two binder
          clips to close it at each end. I just let the sides hang
          down of their own weight. They're usually between half and
          all the way to the ground.

          The weight of the material alone seems enough to keep it
          pressed against the side of the hammock. When it's windy
          enough to blow the netting out of position, it's also windy
          enough to disperse any bugs.

          Now the Speer hammock comes much farther up than my Tropical
          hammock. My bed is only 3 ft 6 in wide, and barely pops over
          my shoulders when I'm lying flat. So my net has to be a lot
          bigger, thus more material.

          Bear