Re:Re: Preparing for Springer

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
      Paul,

      Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the foot...

      Rosaleen

      From: "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@...<mailto:yomas_1@...>>
      Subject: Re: Preparing for Springer

      "Coy" wrote:
      " I would leave the
      snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip."

      "J.D. Hoessle" wrote:
      But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!
      Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!

      J.D. you have solid proof (40 years and no failures)
      of efficacy regarding your snake bite medicine.

      Don't listen to Coy!!, Snakes love the cold weather.
      They're not called cold blooded for nothing.
      Be advised that the Springer Mt. area is known for its
      Albino Snow Snake population.
      So take your medicine, not the freeze dried stuff (no Alcohol)
      and keep sky dog on the alert.

      I'm sending you a pair of teflon tubes to put over your hammock
      ropes/straps. When snakes try and crawl down them they
      fall off. (the snakes not the tubes)

      Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
      hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
      vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
      under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
      thus away from you.

      I hope this helps.

      Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
        You all have hoop snakes back east?

        Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their tails with
        their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll part way
        up the next hill.

        Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill with a stick,
        as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.

        Ralph

        On 12/2/05, Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

        > Paul,
        >
        > Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical hand
        > warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and thus
        > away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry a .22 Cal pistol and a
        > few rounds in bear country. You only have to outrun your hiking buddy, not
        > the bear. Shoot the buddy in the foot...
        >
        > Rosaleen
        >

        > From: "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@...<mailto:yomas_1@...>>
        > Subject: Re: Preparing for Springer
        >

        > "Coy" wrote:
        > " I would leave the
        > snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip."
        >
        > "J.D. Hoessle" wrote:
        > But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!
        > Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!
        >
        > J.D. you have solid proof (40 years and no failures)
        > of efficacy regarding your snake bite medicine.
        >
        > Don't listen to Coy!!, Snakes love the cold weather.
        > They're not called cold blooded for nothing.
        > Be advised that the Springer Mt. area is known for its
        > Albino Snow Snake population.
        > So take your medicine, not the freeze dried stuff (no Alcohol)
        > and keep sky dog on the alert.
        >
        > I'm sending you a pair of teflon tubes to put over your hammock
        > ropes/straps. When snakes try and crawl down them they
        > fall off. (the snakes not the tubes)
        >
        > Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
        > hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
        > vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
        > under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
        > thus away from you.
        >
        > I hope this helps.
        >
        > Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
          Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
          dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
          bit!

          Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
          <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:

          > You all have hoop snakes back east?
          >
          > Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their
          tails with
          > their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll
          part way
          > up the next hill.
          >
          > Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill
          with a stick,
          > as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.
          >
          > Ralph
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
            On 12/2/05, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

            > Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
            > dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
            > bit!
            >
            > Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

            If one bit me I'd only take 1 step.
            Then cral or hop or skip the rest of the way. :]

            Ralph

          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
              <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical
              >hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to
              >them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry
              >a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have
              >to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the
              >foot...

              My vote goes to "Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil
              side out) under your hammock." This is like the tinfoil hat for
              crazies, 'cept that since it's for hammockers you sling it under your
              rear instead.... :-#

              Doug Frost