Re: [Hammock Camping] Ticket To The Moon

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
      From: Ed Speer <ed@...>
      Date: Friday, December 2, 2005 4:46 pm
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Ticket To The Moon

      > Becky, Coy, Marta-and everyone else who got spam from the hammock
      > companyTicket To The Moon. This is an Asian hammock company that
      > has contacted
      > Speer Hammocks in the past asking for web link exchanges and other
      > possiblebusiness deals-they have even sent us a hammock for
      > review, but we don't do
      > such reviews. I believe they are members of the HammockCamping-L.
      > Since
      > they do make camping hammocks, I include Ticket To The Moon in my
      > world-wide
      > list of camping hammock manufacturers. That list is posted on my
      > Links page
      > at www.hammockcamping.com <http://www.hammockcamping.com/> and in
      > all of
      > the Hammock Camping Newsletters.
      >

      > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using
      > thoseaddresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from
      > some others who
      > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
      > case, they
      > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List,
      > removed from
      > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be
      > included in
      > future newsletters.
      >

      > As most of you know, I don't allow shameless advertising on the
      > List. I do
      > allow personal reviews or informative announcements of new
      > products. But
      > unsolicited use of our personal email addresses is inappropriate
      > for a
      > hammock manufacturer. While I might not be able to stop it, I
      > might be able
      > to discourage it..Ed
      >

      > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      >
      > Editor, Hammock Camping News
      >
      > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
      >

      > _____

    • RevT
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
        I also got the email direct. I did go check out the pics and the web
        site though. Nice pics.

        Brian
      • tcoug7
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
          Me too Ed. Yes, I'm still here ;)

          Tim
        • Michael B. Carter
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
            Ed,

            I got the Ticket To The Moon e-mail also.

            Michael

          • seuss910
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
              I too received spam from charly@.... A quick whois
              search shows that ticketothemoon.biz is registered to Descotis
              Charles, 34 Rue St. Gaud, Granville 50400, France. That's
              probably "charly." Probably just a mail drop, but the thought of
              throwing a few eggs warms the soul. Charly is also the registered rep
              for ticket to the moon hammocks as listed on alibaba.com but that one
              shows an Indonesia address (and phone number if anybody would like to
              call him)

              >I'd like to hear from some others who
              > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
              case, they
              > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List,
              removed from
            • Steve Joiner
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                Hi, Ed. I also got the ticket to the moon solicitation

                Steve

                I got one, too. I imagine he hit all of us.

                Marta

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                _____

                Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

                Service.

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                  I received the email from them Ed.

                  Rick

                  Ed Speer wrote:
                  >I'd like to hear from some others who
                  > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon.
                • sdbrehm
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005

                    > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using those
                    > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from some
                    others who
                    > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                    case, they
                    > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List,
                    removed from
                    > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be included in
                    > future newsletters.

                    I got one too.

                    icedancer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                      Charly, Thanks for the post! Your response is all we ask for-everyone
                      should note that Charly responded on his own initiative since I had not yet
                      communicated with him concerning this matter! On behalf of the members of
                      the Hammock Camping List, please be aware that we greatly appreciate your
                      attention and response to our concerns. This is a really fantastic
                      discussion group and most of us feel that unsolicited advertising would
                      adversely affect our hard-won community spirit. While we eagerly seek and
                      appreciate the involvement of hammock manufactures like you, we would like
                      to base the relationship on the mutual sharing and enjoyment of hammocking.
                      We hope you will maintain your membership and contribute to our future
                      discussions. I suspect others will voice similar opinions.

                      Charly, and all hammock manufacturers and dealers, please feel free to post
                      informative product news on the Hammock Camping List (but don't use our
                      individual email addresses). Just don't swamp us with spam or other useless
                      advertising! We're quite interested in learning about new hammocks, hammock
                      accessories, design improvements of existing products, etc. We're also
                      eager to learn from experienced hammock makers; but we're not interested in
                      blatant or shameless advertising that serves the interest of the
                      manufacturer without offering anything useful to us. While I have
                      personally invited many hammock manufacturers to join the List, it is always
                      with the understanding that they will do so as a hammocker, not as a
                      businessman.

                      As a hammock manufacturer myself, I too, struggle with this issue. I'm
                      constantly aware of my own ability to violate the trust of the List, but I
                      strive to keep my advertising efforts directed to my web sites. In addition
                      to selling hammocks, another of my goals is to promote the good news about
                      hammock camping and that is where the List comes in. This List is exactly
                      the kind of hammock-community service I envisioned when I started it; thanks
                      in no small part to the numerous hammockers who post regularly-actually this
                      is your List, not my List. I'd like to think that anyone on the List would
                      feel free to let me know if I'm violating my own rules or otherwise being
                      unreasonable.Ed

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005

                        > Becky, Coy, Marta-and everyone else who got spam from the hammock
                        company
                        > Ticket To The Moon.
                        >
                        > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using
                        those
                        > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from some
                        others who
                        > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                        case, they
                        > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List, removed
                        from
                        > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be included in
                        > future newsletters.

                        I got the email, also - from charly@ ticketothemoon.com

                        Fuzzy
                      • Dylan Anderson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                          I have not been reading list posts much lately because
                          of work, but I too got one. I am sure it was a data
                          capture program that was plugged into the forum. As
                          an RE agent, the software was recently offered to me
                          for sale. I declined it as I don't like underhanded
                          techniques like that in business. But there will
                          always be someone I suppose...

                          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                          dsl.yahoo.com
                        • J.D. Hoessle
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 6, 2005
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...> wrote:
                            > I have not been reading list posts much lately because
                            > of work, but I too got one. I am sure it was a data
                            > capture program that was plugged into the forum. As
                            > an RE agent, the software was recently offered to me
                            > for sale. I declined it as I don't like underhanded
                            > techniques like that in business.

                            Thank You, Dylan!

                            May I suggest that you provide that info to the proper authorities?
                            Many states have laws against such unsolicited spam and are acting!

                            Just turn those snots in!

                            J.D.