48 inch wide hammock

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2003
      I was itching for a new toy yesterday afternoon. I stopped at the
      local Walmart and bought some royal purple polyester cloth, not
      otherwise specified, which was 48 inches wide. (1.97 per yard) and 15
      yards of 1" polyester webbing. I singed the ends, sewed a simple hem
      on each side, and sewed the straps on Ed style, to pull against
      simple overhand knots. From walking out of the store with $14 of
      material to hanging the hammock up it was about an hour.

      I slept in the thing for about 3 hours to get its feel. My
      impression is that the material was a lot more stretchy than the
      nylon I have otherwise used. I felt fine on my back but when I
      turned on my side, it ended up feeling like the hammock was pushing
      on my forehead. It was nice to have more of a view of the
      neighborhood, I felt less like I was inside a cocoon, but this make
      it a little harder to keep the quilt on top of me. Maybe a sleeping
      bag would have worked a little better. It felt like the stretch
      material (maybe it is double knit??) did not allow me a pocket to put
      my feet on either side of the middle line.

      Oh well... The color is nice. And I can re-use the straps.

      Anyone know if the material on the crazy creek is 48 inches wide??

      Rick <><
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2003
        Crazy Creek has a couple of different models, of which I
        have only the Crazy Crib -- a simple, open hammock, with two
        layers of material. The material is a rectangle. Here's the
        specs on it that I have with me...

        Crazy Creek Crazy Crib
        Total weight: 16 oz (1 lb)
        Size flat: 3 ft 8 in x 7ft 10 in