Re: Gauging effectiveness of cool weather modifications

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2003
      I'll take a stab at this and then read below to see what others have
      already written:

      Jim and Marlis,

      About your experience with trying to stay warm
      in your Hennessy Hammock last night. You wrote "I camped near a
      stream back in the hills
      > in north central Georgia last night. My guess is that it got into
      the low
      > fifties or high forties. I used the HH (one of the first ones that
      they sold
      > commercially)\

      (Great hammock... it will end up working and will keep you warm if
      you learn a few tricks.)

      , a standard, blue closed cell foam pad from Walmart

      From your answer below, you might do better with the Kmart blue pad
      because it is much wider... 27 inches wide.

      and an
      > 18-year old, well used down Marmot bag rated to 20 deg. (I think).
      I also
      > slept in hiking socks, a t shirt and BDU pants. I've never been
      particularly
      > sensitive to cold but I was unconfortably chilled until I added the
      blue
      > foam pad to the bag and HH. After I included the pad, I was still
      cold any
      > place I hung off the pad.

      I have not found any sleeping bag which is comfortable in an
      uninsulated hammock below 65 degrees. The sleeping bag gets really
      thin and you will get cold on your back and your hips.

      I suppose my questions have to do with whether my
      > being chilled was more a function of sleeping in a hammock in
      general or of
      > my use of a down sleeping bag that's probably lost much of its
      former loft.

      I think you will find your bag works great in the hammock; but would
      suggest you open all but about a foot down near the end, making it
      into a quilt with a box you can put your feet into. The pad will
      keep your bottom and back warm. The quilt works for the top. You
      are right, anyplace you are not protected by the pad will get cold,
      so get a pad wide enough to always be on the pad.

      > Should I have expected to have been a little cool in a hammock
      regardless of
      > the sleeping bag/mat? Or, am I becoming a wuss in my approaching
      middle
      > age?

      I do not think that wanting to be comfortable is being a wuss. You
      have all the ingredients (maybe minus a wide enough pad) to be very
      comfortable anyplace anywhere. I have used the setup described here
      and stayed warm down to about 30 degrees. Any lower and you will
      need more insulation... either a second shell under you filled with
      some insulation a la Garlington/Taco shell insulator, or a second
      thicker pad. With both, I have been rather toasty at 5 degrees with
      some wind.

      Rick<><