Re: [Hammock Camping] Ticket To The Moon

  • Aris Dennis
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hi Ed,
      I got one too, since you were asking,
      cheers,
      Aris

      --- Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:

      > Becky, Coy, Marta-and everyone else who got spam
      > from the hammock company
      > Ticket To The Moon. This is an Asian hammock
      > company that has contacted
      > Speer Hammocks in the past asking for web link
      > exchanges and other possible
      > business deals-they have even sent us a hammock for
      > review, but we don't do
      > such reviews. I believe they are members of the
      > HammockCamping-L. Since
      > they do make camping hammocks, I include Ticket To
      > The Moon in my world-wide
      > list of camping hammock manufacturers. That list is
      > posted on my Links page
      > at www.hammockcamping.com
      > <http://www.hammockcamping.com/> and in all of
      > the Hammock Camping Newsletters.
      >

      > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and
      > are now using those
      > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to
      > hear from some others who
      > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon.
      > If this is the case, they
      > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from
      > the List, removed from
      > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation
      > will be included in
      > future newsletters.
      >

      > As most of you know, I don't allow shameless
      > advertising on the List. I do
      > allow personal reviews or informative announcements
      > of new products. But
      > unsolicited use of our personal email addresses is
      > inappropriate for a
      > hammock manufacturer. While I might not be able to
      > stop it, I might be able
      > to discourage it..Ed
      >

      > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      >
      > Editor, Hammock Camping News
      >
      > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
      >

      > _____

      protection around
      http://mail.yahoo.com

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Anthony (TJ) Smith
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
        I had gotten one of those emails also. Deleted it, thinking it was just
        spam and didn't even think any further of it until reading your post.
        TJ

      • Scott Schroeder
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
          Ditto.
          To my gmail address no less. Which is only used for forums.
          Scott

          On 12/2/05, Anthony (TJ) Smith <tjsmith1946@...> wrote:

          > I had gotten one of those emails also. Deleted it, thinking it was just
          > spam and didn't even think any further of it until reading your post.
          > TJ

        • Tee
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
            Got it too. Sent it to spam reporting site.
            Which sends a spam report to their ISP etc.

            At 04:09 PM 12/2/05, you wrote:

            >Ditto.
            >To my gmail address no less. Which is only used for forums.
            >Scott
            >

            >On 12/2/05, Anthony (TJ) Smith <tjsmith1946@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had gotten one of those emails also. Deleted it, thinking it was just
            > > spam and didn't even think any further of it until reading your post.
            > > TJ

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            >--
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
              I got one, too. I had a look at his page, but he charges $50 for a
              hammock bugnet so I didn't look any further.

              I thought he just got my email from my page - I get stuff like that
              from time to time and it's not a big deal. But if he scammed our
              emails from this group, that's irritating! Makes me want to do
              business with him that much less.

              I bet Yahoo has a policy about people using group rosters for
              spamlists, too - I think that's why they do the "@..." thing with the
              addresses. Might be worth an email to Yahoo about it.

              Otherwise, if he's reading, maybe an appology and a promise never to
              spam the list again would be in order? Certainly would help the
              business reputation.

              Jeff
            • Lenny Nichols
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                I got one also. Didn't spend any time on it. Just hit delete.

                Thanks to Ed and the other moderators (Shane) for the good work you do
                here.

                Lenny Nichols

              • Bill Fornshell

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                    This who they sent spam reports to.

                    Submitted: :
                    For Hammock Lover

                    * 1572674838 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: spamcop@...
                    * 1572674835 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: postmaster@...
                    * 1572674833 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: abuse#indo.net.id@...
                    * 1572674826 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: abuse@...
                    * 1572674813 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: abuse@...

                  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                      From: Ed Speer <ed@...>
                      Date: Friday, December 2, 2005 4:46 pm
                      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Ticket To The Moon

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                        From: Ed Speer <ed@...>
                        Date: Friday, December 2, 2005 4:46 pm

                        I got my "TICKET TO THE MOON" also Ed.

                        Brian
                        T-BACK
                      • RevT
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                          I also got the email direct. I did go check out the pics and the web
                          site though. Nice pics.

                          Brian
                        • tcoug7
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                            Me too Ed. Yes, I'm still here ;)

                            Tim
                          • Michael B. Carter
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                              Ed,

                              I got the Ticket To The Moon e-mail also.

                              Michael

                            • seuss910
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                                I too received spam from charly@.... A quick whois
                                search shows that ticketothemoon.biz is registered to Descotis
                                Charles, 34 Rue St. Gaud, Granville 50400, France. That's
                                probably "charly." Probably just a mail drop, but the thought of
                                throwing a few eggs warms the soul. Charly is also the registered rep
                                for ticket to the moon hammocks as listed on alibaba.com but that one
                                shows an Indonesia address (and phone number if anybody would like to
                                call him)

                                >I'd like to hear from some others who
                                > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                                case, they
                                > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List,
                                removed from
                              • Steve Joiner
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                                  Hi, Ed. I also got the ticket to the moon solicitation

                                  Steve

                                  I got one, too. I imagine he hit all of us.

                                  Marta

                                  _____

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                  _____

                                  Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

                                  Service.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                                    I received the email from them Ed.

                                    Rick

                                    Ed Speer wrote:
                                    >I'd like to hear from some others who
                                    > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon.
                                  • sdbrehm
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005

                                      > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using those
                                      > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from some
                                      others who
                                      > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                                      case, they
                                      > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List,
                                      removed from
                                      > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be included in
                                      > future newsletters.

                                      I got one too.

                                      icedancer
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                        Charly, Thanks for the post! Your response is all we ask for-everyone
                                        should note that Charly responded on his own initiative since I had not yet
                                        communicated with him concerning this matter! On behalf of the members of
                                        the Hammock Camping List, please be aware that we greatly appreciate your
                                        attention and response to our concerns. This is a really fantastic
                                        discussion group and most of us feel that unsolicited advertising would
                                        adversely affect our hard-won community spirit. While we eagerly seek and
                                        appreciate the involvement of hammock manufactures like you, we would like
                                        to base the relationship on the mutual sharing and enjoyment of hammocking.
                                        We hope you will maintain your membership and contribute to our future
                                        discussions. I suspect others will voice similar opinions.

                                        Charly, and all hammock manufacturers and dealers, please feel free to post
                                        informative product news on the Hammock Camping List (but don't use our
                                        individual email addresses). Just don't swamp us with spam or other useless
                                        advertising! We're quite interested in learning about new hammocks, hammock
                                        accessories, design improvements of existing products, etc. We're also
                                        eager to learn from experienced hammock makers; but we're not interested in
                                        blatant or shameless advertising that serves the interest of the
                                        manufacturer without offering anything useful to us. While I have
                                        personally invited many hammock manufacturers to join the List, it is always
                                        with the understanding that they will do so as a hammocker, not as a
                                        businessman.

                                        As a hammock manufacturer myself, I too, struggle with this issue. I'm
                                        constantly aware of my own ability to violate the trust of the List, but I
                                        strive to keep my advertising efforts directed to my web sites. In addition
                                        to selling hammocks, another of my goals is to promote the good news about
                                        hammock camping and that is where the List comes in. This List is exactly
                                        the kind of hammock-community service I envisioned when I started it; thanks
                                        in no small part to the numerous hammockers who post regularly-actually this
                                        is your List, not my List. I'd like to think that anyone on the List would
                                        feel free to let me know if I'm violating my own rules or otherwise being
                                        unreasonable.Ed

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005

                                          > Becky, Coy, Marta-and everyone else who got spam from the hammock
                                          company
                                          > Ticket To The Moon.
                                          >
                                          > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using
                                          those
                                          > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from some
                                          others who
                                          > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                                          case, they
                                          > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List, removed
                                          from
                                          > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be included in
                                          > future newsletters.

                                          I got the email, also - from charly@ ticketothemoon.com

                                          Fuzzy
                                        • Dylan Anderson
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                            I have not been reading list posts much lately because
                                            of work, but I too got one. I am sure it was a data
                                            capture program that was plugged into the forum. As
                                            an RE agent, the software was recently offered to me
                                            for sale. I declined it as I don't like underhanded
                                            techniques like that in business. But there will
                                            always be someone I suppose...

                                            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                            dsl.yahoo.com
                                          • J.D. Hoessle
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 6, 2005
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...> wrote:
                                              > I have not been reading list posts much lately because
                                              > of work, but I too got one. I am sure it was a data
                                              > capture program that was plugged into the forum. As
                                              > an RE agent, the software was recently offered to me
                                              > for sale. I declined it as I don't like underhanded
                                              > techniques like that in business.

                                              Thank You, Dylan!

                                              May I suggest that you provide that info to the proper authorities?
                                              Many states have laws against such unsolicited spam and are acting!

                                              Just turn those snots in!

                                              J.D.