Ticket To The Moon

    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
      Becky, Coy, Marta-and everyone else who got spam from the hammock company
      Ticket To The Moon. This is an Asian hammock company that has contacted
      Speer Hammocks in the past asking for web link exchanges and other possible
      business deals-they have even sent us a hammock for review, but we don't do
      such reviews. I believe they are members of the HammockCamping-L. Since
      they do make camping hammocks, I include Ticket To The Moon in my world-wide
      list of camping hammock manufacturers. That list is posted on my Links page
      at www.hammockcamping.com <http://www.hammockcamping.com/> and in all of
      the Hammock Camping Newsletters.

      Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using those
      addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from some others who
      recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the case, they
      will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List, removed from
      my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be included in
      future newsletters.

      As most of you know, I don't allow shameless advertising on the List. I do
      allow personal reviews or informative announcements of new products. But
      unsolicited use of our personal email addresses is inappropriate for a
      hammock manufacturer. While I might not be able to stop it, I might be able
      to discourage it..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
        Hi Ed,
        I got one too, since you were asking,
        cheers,
        Aris

        --- Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:

        > Becky, Coy, Marta-and everyone else who got spam
        > from the hammock company
        > Ticket To The Moon. This is an Asian hammock
        > company that has contacted
        > Speer Hammocks in the past asking for web link
        > exchanges and other possible
        > business deals-they have even sent us a hammock for
        > review, but we don't do
        > such reviews. I believe they are members of the
        > HammockCamping-L. Since
        > they do make camping hammocks, I include Ticket To
        > The Moon in my world-wide
        > list of camping hammock manufacturers. That list is
        > posted on my Links page
        > at www.hammockcamping.com
        > <http://www.hammockcamping.com/> and in all of
        > the Hammock Camping Newsletters.
        >

        > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and
        > are now using those
        > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to
        > hear from some others who
        > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon.
        > If this is the case, they
        > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from
        > the List, removed from
        > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation
        > will be included in
        > future newsletters.
        >

        > As most of you know, I don't allow shameless
        > advertising on the List. I do
        > allow personal reviews or informative announcements
        > of new products. But
        > unsolicited use of our personal email addresses is
        > inappropriate for a
        > hammock manufacturer. While I might not be able to
        > stop it, I might be able
        > to discourage it..Ed
        >

        > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
        >
        > Editor, Hammock Camping News
        >
        > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
        >

        > _____

        protection around
        http://mail.yahoo.com

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Anthony (TJ) Smith
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
          I had gotten one of those emails also. Deleted it, thinking it was just
          spam and didn't even think any further of it until reading your post.
          TJ

        • Scott Schroeder
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
            Ditto.
            To my gmail address no less. Which is only used for forums.
            Scott

            On 12/2/05, Anthony (TJ) Smith <tjsmith1946@...> wrote:

            > I had gotten one of those emails also. Deleted it, thinking it was just
            > spam and didn't even think any further of it until reading your post.
            > TJ

          • Tee
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
              Got it too. Sent it to spam reporting site.
              Which sends a spam report to their ISP etc.

              At 04:09 PM 12/2/05, you wrote:

              >Ditto.
              >To my gmail address no less. Which is only used for forums.
              >Scott
              >

              >On 12/2/05, Anthony (TJ) Smith <tjsmith1946@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I had gotten one of those emails also. Deleted it, thinking it was just
              > > spam and didn't even think any further of it until reading your post.
              > > TJ

              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >--
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                I got one, too. I had a look at his page, but he charges $50 for a
                hammock bugnet so I didn't look any further.

                I thought he just got my email from my page - I get stuff like that
                from time to time and it's not a big deal. But if he scammed our
                emails from this group, that's irritating! Makes me want to do
                business with him that much less.

                I bet Yahoo has a policy about people using group rosters for
                spamlists, too - I think that's why they do the "@..." thing with the
                addresses. Might be worth an email to Yahoo about it.

                Otherwise, if he's reading, maybe an appology and a promise never to
                spam the list again would be in order? Certainly would help the
                business reputation.

                Jeff
              • Lenny Nichols
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                  I got one also. Didn't spend any time on it. Just hit delete.

                  Thanks to Ed and the other moderators (Shane) for the good work you do
                  here.

                  Lenny Nichols

                • Bill Fornshell

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                      This who they sent spam reports to.

                      Submitted: :
                      For Hammock Lover

                      * 1572674838 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: spamcop@...
                      * 1572674835 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: postmaster@...
                      * 1572674833 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: abuse#indo.net.id@...
                      * 1572674826 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: abuse@...
                      * 1572674813 ( 202.146.236.176 ) To: abuse@...

                    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                        From: Ed Speer <ed@...>
                        Date: Friday, December 2, 2005 4:46 pm
                        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Ticket To The Moon

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                          From: Ed Speer <ed@...>
                          Date: Friday, December 2, 2005 4:46 pm

                          I got my "TICKET TO THE MOON" also Ed.

                          Brian
                          T-BACK
                        • RevT
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                            I also got the email direct. I did go check out the pics and the web
                            site though. Nice pics.

                            Brian
                          • tcoug7
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                              Me too Ed. Yes, I'm still here ;)

                              Tim
                            • Michael B. Carter
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                                Ed,

                                I got the Ticket To The Moon e-mail also.

                                Michael

                              • seuss910
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                                  I too received spam from charly@.... A quick whois
                                  search shows that ticketothemoon.biz is registered to Descotis
                                  Charles, 34 Rue St. Gaud, Granville 50400, France. That's
                                  probably "charly." Probably just a mail drop, but the thought of
                                  throwing a few eggs warms the soul. Charly is also the registered rep
                                  for ticket to the moon hammocks as listed on alibaba.com but that one
                                  shows an Indonesia address (and phone number if anybody would like to
                                  call him)

                                  >I'd like to hear from some others who
                                  > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                                  case, they
                                  > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List,
                                  removed from
                                • Steve Joiner
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                                    Hi, Ed. I also got the ticket to the moon solicitation

                                    Steve

                                    I got one, too. I imagine he hit all of us.

                                    Marta

                                    _____

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                    _____

                                    Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

                                    Service.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005
                                      I received the email from them Ed.

                                      Rick

                                      Ed Speer wrote:
                                      >I'd like to hear from some others who
                                      > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon.
                                    • sdbrehm
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 2, 2005

                                        > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using those
                                        > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from some
                                        others who
                                        > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                                        case, they
                                        > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List,
                                        removed from
                                        > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be included in
                                        > future newsletters.

                                        I got one too.

                                        icedancer
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                          Charly, Thanks for the post! Your response is all we ask for-everyone
                                          should note that Charly responded on his own initiative since I had not yet
                                          communicated with him concerning this matter! On behalf of the members of
                                          the Hammock Camping List, please be aware that we greatly appreciate your
                                          attention and response to our concerns. This is a really fantastic
                                          discussion group and most of us feel that unsolicited advertising would
                                          adversely affect our hard-won community spirit. While we eagerly seek and
                                          appreciate the involvement of hammock manufactures like you, we would like
                                          to base the relationship on the mutual sharing and enjoyment of hammocking.
                                          We hope you will maintain your membership and contribute to our future
                                          discussions. I suspect others will voice similar opinions.

                                          Charly, and all hammock manufacturers and dealers, please feel free to post
                                          informative product news on the Hammock Camping List (but don't use our
                                          individual email addresses). Just don't swamp us with spam or other useless
                                          advertising! We're quite interested in learning about new hammocks, hammock
                                          accessories, design improvements of existing products, etc. We're also
                                          eager to learn from experienced hammock makers; but we're not interested in
                                          blatant or shameless advertising that serves the interest of the
                                          manufacturer without offering anything useful to us. While I have
                                          personally invited many hammock manufacturers to join the List, it is always
                                          with the understanding that they will do so as a hammocker, not as a
                                          businessman.

                                          As a hammock manufacturer myself, I too, struggle with this issue. I'm
                                          constantly aware of my own ability to violate the trust of the List, but I
                                          strive to keep my advertising efforts directed to my web sites. In addition
                                          to selling hammocks, another of my goals is to promote the good news about
                                          hammock camping and that is where the List comes in. This List is exactly
                                          the kind of hammock-community service I envisioned when I started it; thanks
                                          in no small part to the numerous hammockers who post regularly-actually this
                                          is your List, not my List. I'd like to think that anyone on the List would
                                          feel free to let me know if I'm violating my own rules or otherwise being
                                          unreasonable.Ed

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005

                                            > Becky, Coy, Marta-and everyone else who got spam from the hammock
                                            company
                                            > Ticket To The Moon.
                                            >
                                            > Have they mined our Hammock Camping-L addresses and are now using
                                            those
                                            > addresses for unsolicited promotion? I'd like to hear from some
                                            others who
                                            > recently got such emails from Ticket To The Moon. If this is the
                                            case, they
                                            > will receive a nasty letter from me, be banned from the List, removed
                                            from
                                            > my manufacturers' lists, and a note of explanation will be included in
                                            > future newsletters.

                                            I got the email, also - from charly@ ticketothemoon.com

                                            Fuzzy
                                          • Dylan Anderson
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 5, 2005
                                              I have not been reading list posts much lately because
                                              of work, but I too got one. I am sure it was a data
                                              capture program that was plugged into the forum. As
                                              an RE agent, the software was recently offered to me
                                              for sale. I declined it as I don't like underhanded
                                              techniques like that in business. But there will
                                              always be someone I suppose...

                                              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                              dsl.yahoo.com
                                            • J.D. Hoessle
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 6, 2005
                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...> wrote:
                                                > I have not been reading list posts much lately because
                                                > of work, but I too got one. I am sure it was a data
                                                > capture program that was plugged into the forum. As
                                                > an RE agent, the software was recently offered to me
                                                > for sale. I declined it as I don't like underhanded
                                                > techniques like that in business.

                                                Thank You, Dylan!

                                                May I suggest that you provide that info to the proper authorities?
                                                Many states have laws against such unsolicited spam and are acting!

                                                Just turn those snots in!

                                                J.D.