Re: Preparing for Springer

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
      I should clarify...my homemade Speer hammock. The one Ed makes has
      a bug net and velcro and seals off at the ends. I dont even have a
      bugnet for my homeamade one.

      Coy Boy

      -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:

      > I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
      > snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip. Corse Ed might try
      > scare you with another snake story and my might need some nerve
      > medicine:')
      >
      > You do know snakes can climb trees very well. Back when I was a
      tree
      > climber I almost fell out of a tree once when I poked my head over
      > big limb right in the face of a big chicken snake. I was 50 feet
      up
      > in the air. Did the same thing as a kid only it was a black snake
      > then. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if they can shimmy right out
      > your hammock line to warm up a bit in your sleeping bag. I prefer
      > the Speer Hammock even in warm weather (I like the way it sits
      much
      > better) but got to admit I used the HH a few times this past
      summer
      > just for this reason.
      >
      > Coy Boy ssssss (scared you)
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
        > I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
        > snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip.

        But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!

        Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!

        And, YES! You scared me with your Slithern-Talk, Mr. Potter.

        J.D.
      • Paul Kaercher
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005

          "J.D. Hoessle" wrote:
          But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!
          Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!

          J.D. you have solid proof (40 years and no failures)
          of efficacy regarding your snake bite medicine.

          Don't listen to Coy!!, Snakes love the cold weather.
          They're not called cold blooded for nothing.
          Be advised that the Springer Mt. area is known for its
          Albino Snow Snake population.
          So take your medicine, not the freeze dried stuff (no Alcohol)
          and keep sky dog on the alert.

          I'm sending you a pair of teflon tubes to put over your hammock
          ropes/straps. When snakes try and crawl down them they
          fall off. (the snakes not the tubes)

          Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
          hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
          vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
          under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
          thus away from you.

          I hope this helps.

          Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
            Definitely don't do this. The snakes see their reflection in the
            blanket and strike.
            :-)

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@h...>
            wrote:
            > Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
            > hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
            > vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
            > under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
            > thus away from you.
            >
            > I hope this helps.
            >
            > Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
              Paul,

              Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the foot...

              Rosaleen

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                You all have hoop snakes back east?

                Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their tails with
                their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll part way
                up the next hill.

                Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill with a stick,
                as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.

                Ralph

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
                  dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
                  bit!

                  Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                  <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:

                  > You all have hoop snakes back east?
                  >
                  > Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their
                  tails with
                  > their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll
                  part way
                  > up the next hill.
                  >
                  > Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill
                  with a stick,
                  > as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.
                  >
                  > Ralph
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                    On 12/2/05, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                    > Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
                    > dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
                    > bit!
                    >
                    > Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

                    If one bit me I'd only take 1 step.
                    Then cral or hop or skip the rest of the way. :]

                    Ralph

                  • dlfrost_1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                      <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:
                      > Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical
                      >hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to
                      >them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry
                      >a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have
                      >to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the
                      >foot...

                      My vote goes to "Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil
                      side out) under your hammock." This is like the tinfoil hat for
                      crazies, 'cept that since it's for hammockers you sling it under your
                      rear instead.... :-#

                      Doug Frost