Re: Preparing for Springer

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
      I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
      snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip. Corse Ed might try to
      scare you with another snake story and my might need some nerve
      medicine:')

      You do know snakes can climb trees very well. Back when I was a tree
      climber I almost fell out of a tree once when I poked my head over a
      big limb right in the face of a big chicken snake. I was 50 feet up
      in the air. Did the same thing as a kid only it was a black snake
      then. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if they can shimmy right out
      your hammock line to warm up a bit in your sleeping bag. I prefer
      the Speer Hammock even in warm weather (I like the way it sits much
      better) but got to admit I used the HH a few times this past summer
      just for this reason.

      Coy Boy ssssss (scared you)

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
      wrote:

      > Total Excitement here readying my gear for Springer!
      >
      > As I emailed Rosaleen offline, I have about 17 different gear
      combos
      > that are all weather-dependent ranging from sub-zero-with-deep
      snow to
      > balmy....<g>... In the last two days, I have packed and re-packed
      and
      > been to the Post Office TWICE to see what the different combos
      might
      > weigh.
      >
      > It ranges from 16 lbs. to 18 lbs total pack weight. NOT counting
      > food/water/libations. And, NOT counting whatever I end up wearing
      for
      > the last-minute-weather-forecast. Oh, yeah.... Add 3.4 lbs. for
      my
      > fanny pack and snake bite medicine.
      >
      > Thanks to everyone here (!!!), I am pretty darned happy with this
      > weight for winter temps. Probably cut another 1.5-2 lbs. if I do a
      > top quilt.
      >
      > Marta...? I am dying to see your PURPLE-People-Warmer! How's that
      > coming...?
      >
      > Happy Trails,
      >
      > J.D.

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
        I should clarify...my homemade Speer hammock. The one Ed makes has
        a bug net and velcro and seals off at the ends. I dont even have a
        bugnet for my homeamade one.

        Coy Boy

        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:

        > I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
        > snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip. Corse Ed might try
        > scare you with another snake story and my might need some nerve
        > medicine:')
        >
        > You do know snakes can climb trees very well. Back when I was a
        tree
        > climber I almost fell out of a tree once when I poked my head over
        > big limb right in the face of a big chicken snake. I was 50 feet
        up
        > in the air. Did the same thing as a kid only it was a black snake
        > then. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if they can shimmy right out
        > your hammock line to warm up a bit in your sleeping bag. I prefer
        > the Speer Hammock even in warm weather (I like the way it sits
        much
        > better) but got to admit I used the HH a few times this past
        summer
        > just for this reason.
        >
        > Coy Boy ssssss (scared you)
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
          > I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
          > snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip.

          But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!

          Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!

          And, YES! You scared me with your Slithern-Talk, Mr. Potter.

          J.D.
        • Paul Kaercher
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005

            "J.D. Hoessle" wrote:
            But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!
            Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!

            J.D. you have solid proof (40 years and no failures)
            of efficacy regarding your snake bite medicine.

            Don't listen to Coy!!, Snakes love the cold weather.
            They're not called cold blooded for nothing.
            Be advised that the Springer Mt. area is known for its
            Albino Snow Snake population.
            So take your medicine, not the freeze dried stuff (no Alcohol)
            and keep sky dog on the alert.

            I'm sending you a pair of teflon tubes to put over your hammock
            ropes/straps. When snakes try and crawl down them they
            fall off. (the snakes not the tubes)

            Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
            hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
            vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
            under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
            thus away from you.

            I hope this helps.

            Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1
          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
              Definitely don't do this. The snakes see their reflection in the
              blanket and strike.
              :-)

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@h...>
              wrote:
              > Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
              > hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
              > vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
              > under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
              > thus away from you.
              >
              > I hope this helps.
              >
              > Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1

            • Rosaleen Sullivan
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                Paul,

                Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the foot...

                Rosaleen

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                  You all have hoop snakes back east?

                  Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their tails with
                  their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll part way
                  up the next hill.

                  Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill with a stick,
                  as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.

                  Ralph

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
                    dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
                    bit!

                    Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                    <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:

                    > You all have hoop snakes back east?
                    >
                    > Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their
                    tails with
                    > their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll
                    part way
                    > up the next hill.
                    >
                    > Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill
                    with a stick,
                    > as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.
                    >
                    > Ralph
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                      On 12/2/05, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                      > Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
                      > dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
                      > bit!
                      >
                      > Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

                      If one bit me I'd only take 1 step.
                      Then cral or hop or skip the rest of the way. :]

                      Ralph

                    • dlfrost_1
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                        <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical
                        >hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to
                        >them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry
                        >a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have
                        >to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the
                        >foot...

                        My vote goes to "Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil
                        side out) under your hammock." This is like the tinfoil hat for
                        crazies, 'cept that since it's for hammockers you sling it under your
                        rear instead.... :-#

                        Doug Frost