Preparing for Springer

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
      Total Excitement here readying my gear for Springer!

      As I emailed Rosaleen offline, I have about 17 different gear combos
      that are all weather-dependent ranging from sub-zero-with-deep snow to
      balmy....<g>... In the last two days, I have packed and re-packed and
      been to the Post Office TWICE to see what the different combos might
      weigh.

      It ranges from 16 lbs. to 18 lbs total pack weight. NOT counting
      food/water/libations. And, NOT counting whatever I end up wearing for
      the last-minute-weather-forecast. Oh, yeah.... Add 3.4 lbs. for my
      fanny pack and snake bite medicine.

      Thanks to everyone here (!!!), I am pretty darned happy with this
      weight for winter temps. Probably cut another 1.5-2 lbs. if I do a
      top quilt.

      Marta...? I am dying to see your PURPLE-People-Warmer! How's that
      coming...?

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
        I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
        snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip. Corse Ed might try to
        scare you with another snake story and my might need some nerve
        medicine:')

        You do know snakes can climb trees very well. Back when I was a tree
        climber I almost fell out of a tree once when I poked my head over a
        big limb right in the face of a big chicken snake. I was 50 feet up
        in the air. Did the same thing as a kid only it was a black snake
        then. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if they can shimmy right out
        your hammock line to warm up a bit in your sleeping bag. I prefer
        the Speer Hammock even in warm weather (I like the way it sits much
        better) but got to admit I used the HH a few times this past summer
        just for this reason.

        Coy Boy ssssss (scared you)

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
        wrote:

        > Total Excitement here readying my gear for Springer!
        >
        > As I emailed Rosaleen offline, I have about 17 different gear
        combos
        > that are all weather-dependent ranging from sub-zero-with-deep
        snow to
        > balmy....<g>... In the last two days, I have packed and re-packed
        and
        > been to the Post Office TWICE to see what the different combos
        might
        > weigh.
        >
        > It ranges from 16 lbs. to 18 lbs total pack weight. NOT counting
        > food/water/libations. And, NOT counting whatever I end up wearing
        for
        > the last-minute-weather-forecast. Oh, yeah.... Add 3.4 lbs. for
        my
        > fanny pack and snake bite medicine.
        >
        > Thanks to everyone here (!!!), I am pretty darned happy with this
        > weight for winter temps. Probably cut another 1.5-2 lbs. if I do a
        > top quilt.
        >
        > Marta...? I am dying to see your PURPLE-People-Warmer! How's that
        > coming...?
        >
        > Happy Trails,
        >
        > J.D.

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
          I should clarify...my homemade Speer hammock. The one Ed makes has
          a bug net and velcro and seals off at the ends. I dont even have a
          bugnet for my homeamade one.

          Coy Boy

          -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:

          > I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
          > snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip. Corse Ed might try
          > scare you with another snake story and my might need some nerve
          > medicine:')
          >
          > You do know snakes can climb trees very well. Back when I was a
          tree
          > climber I almost fell out of a tree once when I poked my head over
          > big limb right in the face of a big chicken snake. I was 50 feet
          up
          > in the air. Did the same thing as a kid only it was a black snake
          > then. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if they can shimmy right out
          > your hammock line to warm up a bit in your sleeping bag. I prefer
          > the Speer Hammock even in warm weather (I like the way it sits
          much
          > better) but got to admit I used the HH a few times this past
          summer
          > just for this reason.
          >
          > Coy Boy ssssss (scared you)
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
            > I know you said from sub-zero to balmy but I would leave the
            > snakebite kit at home for the Springer trip.

            But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!

            Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!

            And, YES! You scared me with your Slithern-Talk, Mr. Potter.

            J.D.
          • Paul Kaercher
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005

              "J.D. Hoessle" wrote:
              But....! My Snake Bite Medicine REALLY - REALLY works....!
              Back packing since the '60's and haven't been bit yet....!

              J.D. you have solid proof (40 years and no failures)
              of efficacy regarding your snake bite medicine.

              Don't listen to Coy!!, Snakes love the cold weather.
              They're not called cold blooded for nothing.
              Be advised that the Springer Mt. area is known for its
              Albino Snow Snake population.
              So take your medicine, not the freeze dried stuff (no Alcohol)
              and keep sky dog on the alert.

              I'm sending you a pair of teflon tubes to put over your hammock
              ropes/straps. When snakes try and crawl down them they
              fall off. (the snakes not the tubes)

              Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
              hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
              vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
              under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
              thus away from you.

              I hope this helps.

              Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1
            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                Definitely don't do this. The snakes see their reflection in the
                blanket and strike.
                :-)

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@h...>
                wrote:
                > Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil side out) under your
                > hammock. This reduces your IR (infrared) signature and keeps the pit
                > vipers from zeroing in on you. Hanging a chemical hand warmer
                > under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and
                > thus away from you.
                >
                > I hope this helps.
                >
                > Paul- who thinks most every day is April 1

              • Rosaleen Sullivan
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Paul,

                  Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the foot...

                  Rosaleen

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                    You all have hoop snakes back east?

                    Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their tails with
                    their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll part way
                    up the next hill.

                    Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill with a stick,
                    as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.

                    Ralph

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                      Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
                      dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
                      bit!

                      Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                      <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:

                      > You all have hoop snakes back east?
                      >
                      > Herein Idaho when they want to get away real fast they grab their
                      tails with
                      > their mouths and roll down hill. Some have figured out how to roll
                      part way
                      > up the next hill.
                      >
                      > Best way to catch them is to stand near the bottom of the hill
                      with a stick,
                      > as a buddy moves up hill you can hook'em as they roll by.
                      >
                      > Ralph
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 2, 2005
                        On 12/2/05, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                        > Naw, we got 2-step snakes. they bite you, you take 2 steps an yer
                        > dead. I hear thays a den of them up on Springer. Hope JD dont git
                        > bit!
                        >
                        > Coy Boy PS the hoop snake catchin trick sounds interesting:')

                        If one bit me I'd only take 1 step.
                        Then cral or hop or skip the rest of the way. :]

                        Ralph

                      • dlfrost_1
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                          <rosaleen43@m...> wrote:
                          > Thanks for the laugh! I especially liked this: "Hanging a chemical
                          >hand warmer under someone else's hammock will lure pit vipers to
                          >them and thus away from you." It reminds me of the advice to carry
                          >a .22 Cal pistol and a few rounds in bear country. You only have
                          >to outrun your hiking buddy, not the bear. Shoot the buddy in the
                          >foot...

                          My vote goes to "Also I recommend attaching a space blanket (foil
                          side out) under your hammock." This is like the tinfoil hat for
                          crazies, 'cept that since it's for hammockers you sling it under your
                          rear instead.... :-#

                          Doug Frost