Re: Layering?

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
      > Are these any kind of windstopper fleece? Or just normal fleece
      that
      > would require a windproof shell?

      These are normal, breathable fleece.

      > I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
      > fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive so I haven't bought
      one
      > yet.

      I'm in agreement with the others here that a seperate windshell is
      better. You can switch out componants to match conditions, and the
      ventilation is more flexible.

      Doug Frost
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
        > > I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
        > > fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive
        ... so I haven't bought
        > I'm in agreement with the others here that a seperate windshell is
        > better. You can switch out componants to match conditions, and the
        > ventilation is more flexible.

        Yes, I use a very similar "system".

        This has worked quite well for me:

        1st Layer - Thin inexpensive polypro
        2nd Layer - Montane / Pertex Wind Shirt (More expensive)
        3rd Layer - Inexpensive fleece (200?) full-zip jacket

        That combo works for me even into the teens as long as I am moving.
        If there is rain/snow, I put my Froggs over top. Also pull out the
        Froggs when I stop to keep from getting too chilled to quickly.

        As you say above, this is more flexible and I can "match" conditions.
        The slight drawback & annoyance is that it takes a few minutes to
        strip off the wind shirt when I get too hot.

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • john hill
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
          I've used my blue pad inside my fleece bag and it worked pretty good except my pad is only 20 inches wide so when i let my buttocks off the edge of the pad it got kinda cold. The blue pad also helps keep the fleece bag in place. The SPE is one way to go to make it work better cause I need a pad about 30 inches wide when i sleep on my side and that'll do it - course I don't have one, I'll have to make my own I guess.

          john

          PennyBright <GreenSoul@...> wrote:

          > "you`ll brobably want to test what you would actualy be using on the
          > trail". --

          Yeah, that's the idea. *lol* the fleece liner/summer weight bag being
          what I've got that I could use on the trail.

          Right now I'm trying to work with what I have to see if I can make a
          working, not too heavy, winter system. If I can't put something together
          with my current stuff, then I'll work up ideas about what gear I might want
          to gift myself with before next year, but right now my budget just won't go
          there.

          Bill, I am totally there on needing the blue pad underneath me... I'm
          wondering if putting liner around the blue pad and my bag might work well --
          sort of like the Big Agnes bags have that pad pocket. Provide the extra
          insulating layer, and help keep the blue pad from sliding around.

          It looks like I'm looking at about 25 degree temps tomorrow night.....
          we'll see how it goes.

          Anna

          http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005

            > But then there's the Montbell Thermawrap, too...

            I was just looking at these. Anyone have one? How is it?

            jamie d