Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Electric Blankets and Clothing

  • Moz
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      Ralph Oborn said:
      > AC is easier to transmit over distance. See the historical argument

      I'm sure you mean "was". HVDC is currently the preferred option for
      distance transmission, it's only at the local distribution level that
      AC is easier because transformers are so simple to mass produce.
      Countries like Brazil where there's a lot of hydro in the mountains
      but the people live some distance away have huge HVDC systems because
      they're more efficient.

      I wouldn't be holding up the US as an example of anything, frankly.
      I've studied their power system because it's one of the most complex
      and least efficient in engineering terms of any system in the world.
      They use HVDC links to partially isolate parts of the grid in an
      effort to prevent failure cascades.

      It also depends on what your priorities are - the US is anti-
      darwinist so a more survivable mains voltage is useful, but for the
      rest of the world higher efficiency wins out.

      Either way, I'd much rather have a low DC voltage in my electric
      blanket.

      Moz
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Moz <list@m...> wrote:
        > I'm sure you mean "was". HVDC is currently the preferred option for
        > distance transmission, it's only at the local distribution level that
        > AC is easier because transformers are so simple to mass produce.
        > Countries like Brazil where there's a lot of hydro in the mountains
        > but the people live some distance away have huge HVDC systems
        > because they're more efficient.

        Thank you, Moz.

        This is so way Off Topic that I am dropping it.

        Except to say that I did spend some time in Brasil (the way they spell
        it) in the '80's. Loved it! Loved the beaches, the people... Even
        enjoyed a couple days in Amazonia. Well, not exactly "enjoyed" 'cause
        I have a phobia about snakes.

        In Hot Springs, Mr. Speer told of his jungle experiences and a big boa
        (??) that reared up to look *OVER* the table at him....! I hate
        scary-campfire-stories...<g>...! I still have nightmares about that
        story...<g>...!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
          JD's original assertion was that the entire rest of the world uses DC
          for everything. Which is wrong. I am sure that in certain niches you
          are correct.

          Done.

          BiH