wind proof fleece

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      jeff... i have a differant opinion than some on fleece w/ wind
      block,etc (we may have discused this a while back? sorry if we did).
      in my thinking, if you have a layer of wind resistant material between
      two layers of fleece, the out side layer of fleece is doing little
      more than protecting the wind resistant layer from abrasion (wasted
      bulk & weight) & mabey adding a certain style. if on the other hand
      the fleece is wind resistant because it is a very dense material,
      mabey that`s a differant story. i have a nice looking jacket like
      that & it`s not that warm. i`d rather wear my puffy jacket or fleece
      w/ rain shell. but i`ll still wear it around town in mild
      weather. how about yall?
    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        I don't know the definition soft shell clothes so I can't comment on them.

        The fleece, windbarrier and fleece sandwich (think OR Windstopper
        balaclava) is not as effective as vapor barrier, insulation, waterproof
        layer sandwich.

        For day hikes/skiis I prefer from skin out:
        fleece top,
        micro-fleece shirt,
        water/proof breathable (X-tex),
        down coat for breaks.

        For remote trips vapor barrier technique is worth the extra effort.
        While active between 20 and 0 (blue wax range - I don't enjoy skiing in
        the green range) I am comfortable in:
        vapor barrier shirt - 7.8 oz.
        micro-fleece shirt - 13.3 oz.
        silnylon pullover - 4.4 oz.

        Add a down sweater (9.2 oz.) between the micro-fleece shirt and silnylon
        pullover and the combination is comfortable down to 0 while in camp.

        Above 20 (purple wax range) just the micro-fleece and pull over.

        At about freezing (red wax range) just the micro-fleece.

        It is probably just me, but when I use vapor barrier shirts above 20 I
        overheat and the sweat runs down to my underwear. The result is
        uncomfortable at best and perhaps dangerous. Be careful.

        Using vapor barrier clothes does require much more attention to hats,
        gloves and layering to prevent overheating.

        A thermometer is very important on winter trips.

        Short answer - I agree, Tim.

        Dick Matthews
        - Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
        mistake when you make it again.