Electric Blankets and Clothing

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      I'm not an expert, but after two MD friends of mine persuated me to
      get rid of my waterbed because of the AC powered heater, I listened.

      It's primarily AC that seems to be the problem, not DC (from what I
      have read), so much of what has been discussed is not to this point.

      Two interesting sites on this subject:

      http://www.think-aboutit.com/energy/pwr_line.htm

      http://www.healingdaily.com/emf.htm

      Again, I'm not trying to start any controversy, but one reason I head
      to the woods (aside from being more comfortable in a hammock than in a
      bed) is to get away from technology and "worldly" contact. Seems like
      powering up my hammock is only slightly worse than camping only within
      range of cell towers.

      Hike your own hike, hang your own hammock, however.

    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...> wrote:
        > It's primarily AC that seems to be the problem, not DC (from what I
        > have read), so much of what has been discussed is not to this point.

        Ahhh.... No comment other than to point out that only in the USA is
        electrical power distribution primarily AC. The rest of the world is
        a bit better at the physics and uses DC; as well as the more efficient
        240 volt at the socket.

        > Hike your own hike, hang your own hammock, however.

        *TOTALLY AGREE* And, I also hike to get away! From just about
        everything except the beer...<g>...

        BTW, I searched for freeze dried beer / powdered beer.

        Good News! --- It's out there!

        Bad News! ---- It has NO alcoholic content!

        "Sorta" Good News! --- You "could" reconstitute it with grain or
        moonshine from that still you passed in that hollow about 6 miles back
        up the trail!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
          > The rest of the world is
          > a bit better at the physics and uses DC;

          Not true.
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
            > BTW, I searched for freeze dried beer / powdered beer.
            > Good News! --- It's out there!
            > Bad News! ---- It has NO alcoholic content!
            > "Sorta" Good News! --- You "could" reconstitute it with grain or
            > moonshine from that still you passed in that hollow about 6 miles back
            > up the trail!

            Somehow I think it would taste like yeast added to a mix of PGA and
            water. Ugh.

            Bill in Houston
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
              AC is easier to transmit over distance.
              See the historical argument between George Westinghouse and Edison.
              Westinghouse won. With the Edison method every neighborhood would need it's
              own little generation plant, which is OK if you have a windmill and are
              living off grid. If you would rather have your coal generation plant in
              Wyoming, then it needs to come to you as AC.

              As far as 120V or 240V, I spent a couple of years in England, I've been
              zapped with both, I prefer 120. :]

              Ralph (the Physicist) Agreeing with Bill again

              On 12/1/05, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

              > > The rest of the world is
              > > a bit better at the physics and uses DC;
              >
              > Not true.

            • Moz
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
                Ralph Oborn said:
                > AC is easier to transmit over distance. See the historical argument

                I'm sure you mean "was". HVDC is currently the preferred option for
                distance transmission, it's only at the local distribution level that
                AC is easier because transformers are so simple to mass produce.
                Countries like Brazil where there's a lot of hydro in the mountains
                but the people live some distance away have huge HVDC systems because
                they're more efficient.

                I wouldn't be holding up the US as an example of anything, frankly.
                I've studied their power system because it's one of the most complex
                and least efficient in engineering terms of any system in the world.
                They use HVDC links to partially isolate parts of the grid in an
                effort to prevent failure cascades.

                It also depends on what your priorities are - the US is anti-
                darwinist so a more survivable mains voltage is useful, but for the
                rest of the world higher efficiency wins out.

                Either way, I'd much rather have a low DC voltage in my electric
                blanket.

                Moz
              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Moz <list@m...> wrote:
                  > I'm sure you mean "was". HVDC is currently the preferred option for
                  > distance transmission, it's only at the local distribution level that
                  > AC is easier because transformers are so simple to mass produce.
                  > Countries like Brazil where there's a lot of hydro in the mountains
                  > but the people live some distance away have huge HVDC systems
                  > because they're more efficient.

                  Thank you, Moz.

                  This is so way Off Topic that I am dropping it.

                  Except to say that I did spend some time in Brasil (the way they spell
                  it) in the '80's. Loved it! Loved the beaches, the people... Even
                  enjoyed a couple days in Amazonia. Well, not exactly "enjoyed" 'cause
                  I have a phobia about snakes.

                  In Hot Springs, Mr. Speer told of his jungle experiences and a big boa
                  (??) that reared up to look *OVER* the table at him....! I hate
                  scary-campfire-stories...<g>...! I still have nightmares about that
                  story...<g>...!

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • Bill in Houston
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                    JD's original assertion was that the entire rest of the world uses DC
                    for everything. Which is wrong. I am sure that in certain niches you
                    are correct.

                    Done.

                    BiH