RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: electric hammock and those long wires...

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Wow J.D., now you're going hi-tech!!! .Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        > Wow J.D., now you're going hi-tech!!! .Ed

        Not really... The Russians had an oil lamp/lantern with a
        thermocouple to power radios a loooong time ago - 50's...?

        RE: The mention of a "stream generator" and wind power

        I used to sell those BIG wind turbines out there in CA & HI. I did a
        lot of study on Renewable Energy sources and was amazed at the
        useable/working systems that folks have come up with! Austria mfgrs.
        a water powered generator the size of a dishwasher - drop it in a
        stream w/enough water "fall" and you can do your whole house w/power
        to spare. Texas has a number of private/remote farms totally on small
        wind power turbines. Many of those are on 24 VDC for techie reasons;
        so, there is a whole line of toasters, lamps, mixers, washers, etc.
        that are made to match.

        The R.E.A. (Rural Electrification Act) changed the face of America.
        Before REA and TVA, many rural farms (Est. @ >50,000) had a small
        electrical generator attached to their water-pumping windmills and big
        battery arrays under the front porch.

        Then the power lines from the big coal fired plants (and TVA) came
        down the road. "Mr. Farmer, want hooked up to the grid and some
        dirt-cheap electricity? Well... You have to get rid of that wind
        generator and all of those batteries...."

        You might be surprised at the quantum leap in cost/efficiency of newer
        solar panels! Of course, the sun has to shine and the wind has to
        blow for these systems. Which is where the major improvements in
        battery technology comes into play; go check out a Toyota Prius!

        Bored yet...<g>....?

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.