Speer answers

  • Jim & Marlis Greenway
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2003
      Ed: thanks for the answers on the models. I was uncertain if the difference
      sizes/models simply represented scaled up/down Speers or if there might be
      some significant structural changes among them.

      As far as staying warm goes, I'm finding a lot of information on the list
      and at your site and the others. I guess my question lie with whether it's
      typical to feel that cool in a HH with only the equip I had, or if the main
      reason I was so cool had to do with a worn-out bag. Thanks again - Jim
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2003
        It is possible a synthetic bag would actually be slightly better in
        a hammock. Notice you can't compress a synthetic as much as a
        similar loft and size down bag. One reason Big Agnus has no
        insulation on the bottom. Another posability (not made to my
        knowledge) would be a 2-tone sleeping bag. Down on the top half,
        synthetic on the bottom.

        From your other post it is obivious your cold spots were where you
        sliped off the pad. I have had similar experiences. That is one
        reason my reflectic pad is 40 inches wide. I fold each wing to the
        middle and rool it up into a 20 inch wide bundle for the trail. It
        is bulky but not as heavy as most thermarest. I have a target blue
        foam pad 27 inches wide and it works good in my Crazy Crib but the
        CC dosent wrap around me as much as my HH so it works quite well.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Marlis Greenway"