Re: Electric hammock, windmills, balloons, and trees ...

  • joe_ulrich
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      Why not just get a 12V converter/power supply. At todays technology,
      this whole concept is not a backpacking option. Just plug in the
      converter/power supply into the AC outlet and you have unlimited
      power. No need to carry a heavy battery.

      Peace,
      Joe

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "togetherinparis"
      <togetherinparis@y...> wrote:

      > Vehicle batteries are not designed for deep draws. They're
      designed to stay topped off by
      > the car or motorcycle's alternator. Deep draw lead acid batteries
      are available, but they're
      > heavy and expensive. You might try a lightweight portable
      windmill, though wind chill
      > would likely negate any possible benefit, eh? Perhaps a portable
      windmill on a balloon?
      > But then you're a lightning rod, ouch! Remember how potatoes limes
      can be used to
      > generate current? What's out there that can be tapped at
      campsites? Trees? It's just
      > stupid enough to be true. I imagine there's a measurable potential
      difference between
      > leaves and roots, eh? Who's up for measuring?

    • Moe T. Crow
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        When on the bike you don't always have AC. depending upon the trip you
        could be doing some form of stealth camping but just off a road
        instead of a trail. oh and space is a bigger consideration than
        weight. not to mention it would be a dual use of the heated gear.

        Personally I see this as a cool expansion of the list. true most of us
        backpack and use our hammocks for that. but i know i have one in my
        house, I have seen them in jeeps on here, and have heard of them being
        used while men and women (well haven't heard of a woman using one yet,
        but their might be!) put their lives on the line in service of my
        country. is it really that big of a stretch to see this really taking
        off? think of going into your bedding store in the warmer areas and
        seeing a huge cotton hammock as an option along with the spring, foam,
        and air beds....

        IMHO, YMMV, etc.

        On 12/1/05, joe_ulrich <joe_ulrich@...> wrote:
        > Why not just get a 12V converter/power supply. At todays technology,
        > this whole concept is not a backpacking option. Just plug in the
        > converter/power supply into the AC outlet and you have unlimited
        > power. No need to carry a heavy battery.
        >
        > Peace,
        > Joe
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "togetherinparis"
        > <togetherinparis@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Vehicle batteries are not designed for deep draws. They're
        > designed to stay topped off by
        > > the car or motorcycle's alternator. Deep draw lead acid batteries
        > are available, but they're
        > > heavy and expensive. You might try a lightweight portable
        > windmill, though wind chill
        > > would likely negate any possible benefit, eh? Perhaps a portable
        > windmill on a balloon?
        > > But then you're a lightning rod, ouch! Remember how potatoes limes
        > can be used to
        > > generate current? What's out there that can be tapped at
        > campsites? Trees? It's just
        > > stupid enough to be true. I imagine there's a measurable potential
        > difference between
        > > leaves and roots, eh? Who's up for measuring?

        "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss