Re: [Hammock Camping] Layering?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
      Fleece liner on the inside, it "clings" to you better and keeps the
      dead air spacedown like you said.
      If you need more on the oudside,

      On 11/30/05, PennyBright <GreenSoul@...> wrote:
      > I'm gearing up for my first test of winter hammocking, and was planning
      > on adding a fleece liner bag I have to my system.
      >
      > Any idea if it would be more efficient insulation wise to use the liner
      > inside my bag , or around it on the outside? I'm thinking that inside it
      > would reduce my dead air space (my bag is a little large for me), but
      > outside it would protect the warmth in the loft from being stripped away as
      > easily.
      >
      > Also, if I used it outside the bag, I think I might be able to slide the
      > blue pad into it..... I'm not sure, I'm going to test that later today. I'm
      > not sure if there would be any value in that or not.
      >
      > Anna
      >
      > --
      > http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

      > ________________________________

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
        wrote:
        > Fleece is pretty inexpensive to get now. For example, Target
        > currently has a microfleece top (anorak or full-zip) on sale for
        > $14. (Carefully check the fit before buying.) I've gotten
        > lightweight fleece pants for $9 at Burlington Coat Factory.

        Are these any kind of windstopper fleece? Or just normal fleece that
        would require a windproof shell?

        I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
        fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive so I haven't bought one
        yet. Of course, since I always have my rain jacket it's not a big
        deal, but I figure if I get loft+wind protection for the same weight
        as loft by buying a better quality fleece, it might be worth the money
        to save my rain jacket the wear and tear.

        But then there's the Montbell Thermawrap, too...
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
          > Are these any kind of windstopper fleece? Or just normal fleece
          that
          > would require a windproof shell?

          These are normal, breathable fleece.

          > I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
          > fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive so I haven't bought
          one
          > yet.

          I'm in agreement with the others here that a seperate windshell is
          better. You can switch out componants to match conditions, and the
          ventilation is more flexible.

          Doug Frost
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
            > > I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
            > > fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive
            ... so I haven't bought
            > I'm in agreement with the others here that a seperate windshell is
            > better. You can switch out componants to match conditions, and the
            > ventilation is more flexible.

            Yes, I use a very similar "system".

            This has worked quite well for me:

            1st Layer - Thin inexpensive polypro
            2nd Layer - Montane / Pertex Wind Shirt (More expensive)
            3rd Layer - Inexpensive fleece (200?) full-zip jacket

            That combo works for me even into the teens as long as I am moving.
            If there is rain/snow, I put my Froggs over top. Also pull out the
            Froggs when I stop to keep from getting too chilled to quickly.

            As you say above, this is more flexible and I can "match" conditions.
            The slight drawback & annoyance is that it takes a few minutes to
            strip off the wind shirt when I get too hot.

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • john hill
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
              I've used my blue pad inside my fleece bag and it worked pretty good except my pad is only 20 inches wide so when i let my buttocks off the edge of the pad it got kinda cold. The blue pad also helps keep the fleece bag in place. The SPE is one way to go to make it work better cause I need a pad about 30 inches wide when i sleep on my side and that'll do it - course I don't have one, I'll have to make my own I guess.

              john

              PennyBright <GreenSoul@...> wrote:

              > "you`ll brobably want to test what you would actualy be using on the
              > trail". --

              Yeah, that's the idea. *lol* the fleece liner/summer weight bag being
              what I've got that I could use on the trail.

              Right now I'm trying to work with what I have to see if I can make a
              working, not too heavy, winter system. If I can't put something together
              with my current stuff, then I'll work up ideas about what gear I might want
              to gift myself with before next year, but right now my budget just won't go
              there.

              Bill, I am totally there on needing the blue pad underneath me... I'm
              wondering if putting liner around the blue pad and my bag might work well --
              sort of like the Big Agnes bags have that pad pocket. Provide the extra
              insulating layer, and help keep the blue pad from sliding around.

              It looks like I'm looking at about 25 degree temps tomorrow night.....
              we'll see how it goes.

              Anna

              http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005

                > But then there's the Montbell Thermawrap, too...

                I was just looking at these. Anyone have one? How is it?

                jamie d