Re: Electric hammock, windmills, balloons, and trees ...

  • togetherinparis
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      Vehicle batteries are not designed for deep draws. They're designed to stay topped off by
      the car or motorcycle's alternator. Deep draw lead acid batteries are available, but they're
      heavy and expensive. You might try a lightweight portable windmill, though wind chill
      would likely negate any possible benefit, eh? Perhaps a portable windmill on a balloon?
      But then you're a lightning rod, ouch! Remember how potatoes limes can be used to
      generate current? What's out there that can be tapped at campsites? Trees? It's just
      stupid enough to be true. I imagine there's a measurable potential difference between
      leaves and roots, eh? Who's up for measuring?
    • Michael B. Carter
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        True, there are deep cycle batteries and there are cranking
        batteries. There are also dual purpose batteries. I'm not sure if a
        "cranking" battery used in a car will be discharged enough by a vest like
        mine for deep cycling to be a concern, unless the vest is used multiple
        nights w/o recharging the battery. I'm doing some tests to validate the
        discharge amount hopefully this weekend.
        I believe that the vest will only discharge a group 24 or 27 battery about
        10-12% during an 8 hour night.

        I use AGM sealed batteries in my bikes, and on my sailboat, which is where
        I originally got the idea for using the vest. AGM type batteries are
        designed to handle both cranking and deep cycle applications, and the
        manufacturers specify both cold cranking amps and amp-hours, so no problem
        there. These batteries can also be used in a car but they are definitely
        more expensive than a wet cell lead acid battery. A nice benefit of these
        batteries on both bikes and boats is that they don't spill acid if you tip
        them over.

        Wet cell deep cycle batteries are not that expensive compared to car
        cranking batteries (don't shop at the marine stores though). I think I
        paid $54 for one a few months ago (to put in a sailboat that I just
        sold). One option is to carry an extra battery (in a battery box) in the
        car, charged at home, just for "heating" the vest or whatever. Obviously
        this is for car camping, not hiking :o) An 80 amp hour battery should be
        good for almost a week of sleeping w/o recharge, assuming current draw as
        measured on my vest. There is also no worry about the car not starting
        when it's time to leave, and the battery can be placed near the hammock.

        Personally, I have no desire to use the electric vest for camping in the
        cold, but for touring/camping on the bike, it's an interesting idea for
        saving some storage space, and lightning the load, considering that I have
        it with me anyway.

        Along your potato lime idea, a "survivalist" that I know in the NC
        mountains has a small "stream powered" generator that can recharge a
        battery. I have no idea where it came from, but it's interesting idea...

        Michael

        At 09:28 AM 12/1/05 +0000, you wrote:
        >Vehicle batteries are not designed for deep draws. They're designed to
        >stay topped off by
        >the car or motorcycle's alternator. Deep draw lead acid batteries are
        >available, but they're
        >heavy and expensive. You might try a lightweight portable windmill,
        >though wind chill
        >would likely negate any possible benefit, eh? Perhaps a portable windmill
        >on a balloon?
        >But then you're a lightning rod, ouch! Remember how potatoes limes can be
        >used to
        >generate current? What's out there that can be tapped at
        >campsites? Trees? It's just
        >stupid enough to be true. I imagine there's a measurable potential
        >difference between
        >leaves and roots, eh? Who's up for measuring?

        > *
        >

        >----------
      • joe_ulrich
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          Why not just get a 12V converter/power supply. At todays technology,
          this whole concept is not a backpacking option. Just plug in the
          converter/power supply into the AC outlet and you have unlimited
          power. No need to carry a heavy battery.

          Peace,
          Joe

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "togetherinparis"
          <togetherinparis@y...> wrote:

          > Vehicle batteries are not designed for deep draws. They're
          designed to stay topped off by
          > the car or motorcycle's alternator. Deep draw lead acid batteries
          are available, but they're
          > heavy and expensive. You might try a lightweight portable
          windmill, though wind chill
          > would likely negate any possible benefit, eh? Perhaps a portable
          windmill on a balloon?
          > But then you're a lightning rod, ouch! Remember how potatoes limes
          can be used to
          > generate current? What's out there that can be tapped at
          campsites? Trees? It's just
          > stupid enough to be true. I imagine there's a measurable potential
          difference between
          > leaves and roots, eh? Who's up for measuring?

        • Moe T. Crow
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
            When on the bike you don't always have AC. depending upon the trip you
            could be doing some form of stealth camping but just off a road
            instead of a trail. oh and space is a bigger consideration than
            weight. not to mention it would be a dual use of the heated gear.

            Personally I see this as a cool expansion of the list. true most of us
            backpack and use our hammocks for that. but i know i have one in my
            house, I have seen them in jeeps on here, and have heard of them being
            used while men and women (well haven't heard of a woman using one yet,
            but their might be!) put their lives on the line in service of my
            country. is it really that big of a stretch to see this really taking
            off? think of going into your bedding store in the warmer areas and
            seeing a huge cotton hammock as an option along with the spring, foam,
            and air beds....

            IMHO, YMMV, etc.

            On 12/1/05, joe_ulrich <joe_ulrich@...> wrote:
            > Why not just get a 12V converter/power supply. At todays technology,
            > this whole concept is not a backpacking option. Just plug in the
            > converter/power supply into the AC outlet and you have unlimited
            > power. No need to carry a heavy battery.
            >
            > Peace,
            > Joe
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "togetherinparis"
            > <togetherinparis@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Vehicle batteries are not designed for deep draws. They're
            > designed to stay topped off by
            > > the car or motorcycle's alternator. Deep draw lead acid batteries
            > are available, but they're
            > > heavy and expensive. You might try a lightweight portable
            > windmill, though wind chill
            > > would likely negate any possible benefit, eh? Perhaps a portable
            > windmill on a balloon?
            > > But then you're a lightning rod, ouch! Remember how potatoes limes
            > can be used to
            > > generate current? What's out there that can be tapped at
            > campsites? Trees? It's just
            > > stupid enough to be true. I imagine there's a measurable potential
            > difference between
            > > leaves and roots, eh? Who's up for measuring?

            "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
            matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss