Re: [Hammock Camping] Top Quilt Width....?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
      jd... i`m having a hard time picturing this quilt. only 36" wide, but weighing almost 3lbs. of course the zipper & velcro would help account for some of that. but i`ve never seen a quilt w/ a zipper. it sounds almost as if you`r describing something more like a big agness bag w/ no insulation on the bottom, just a nylon bottom into which you slide your pad. and mabey that`s where the velcro comes in... to keep the pad from sliding. also... i don`t understand the part about doing surgery & ending up w/ two 18" panels. draw me a picture my friend. ...slowhike PS... if all the insulation is on top of you, how thick is the loft on that baby?

      "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote: Well, the home made top quilt "GIFT" that my buddy gave me is a bit
      heavy at 45.7 ounces...-<sigh>-... My 5F slpg. bag is only 5 ounces
      heavier at 50.8 ounces! I was hoping to save about 2 pounds - Rats!

      This quilt is 36" wide with a full length zipper and draft tube. I
      could do some surgery; but would then have two panels only 18" wide
      that would need to be re-joined.

      What width top quilts are you folks using?

      May I ask all of the DYI'ers...? Think it's worth the time and effort
      to cut this top quilt and re-join or just start from scratch and make
      a top quilt that is sized better?

      BTW and for what it's worth, I went to the Post Office for more
      accurate weights today:

      Exped Dam (Downmat 7 - Full Length) - 33.4 oz. = 2.09 lbs.
      Frogg Toggs - 16.4 oz. = 1.03 lbs. (Heavier than I thought!)
      5F Slpg. Bag - 50.8 oz. = 3.2 lbs.

      Thanks!

      J.D.

      tim garner

    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:> jd... i`m having a hard time picturing this quilt. only 36"
        wide, but weighing almost 3lbs.
        > draw me a picture my friend. ...slowhike

        OK.... Will attempt to upload a couple pics.

        J.D.
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
          > wrote:> jd... i`m having a hard time picturing this quilt. only 36"
          > wide, but weighing almost 3lbs.
          > draw me a picture my friend. ...slowhike

          Under Photos - J.D. - Zhammock you will find Top Blanket # 1 and # 2

          In #1. You can see the two light blue "panels" each about 18" wide.
          The darker silnyl "flaps" running down the sides are to tuck-under the
          edges of a T-Rest. You can almost see the darker Velcro patches on
          the bottom (right side) that form a foot-box.

          In #2. Less contrast - I have folded the flaps back under

          The zipper is full length. That idea was for easy night time
          escapes...<g>....

          Loft / Thickness is ~~2" - Qualofil insulation...?

          Now that Marta has given us the formula for width, I am about to give
          up on doing any kind of mod to this masterpiece. Even taking out the
          zipper and re-joining the two panels will only make it 36" wide.

          It was very difficult laying on my side on the floor just now trying
          to measure up over my shoulder and back down again! With SkyDog's
          help I came up with an 88" inch measurement for the width...<g>...
          WithOUT her help I got ~~44"...

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
            You probably have more than one layer of insulation in there to make
            it that thick. You could always take the quilt apart and use the
            insulation to make a larger, thinner quilt. Insulation is the
            expensive part of quilts, anyway (especially if you get DWR on the $1
            rack).
          • Fuzzy
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005

              > It was very difficult laying on my side on the floor just now trying
              > to measure up over my shoulder and back down again! With SkyDog's
              > help I came up with an 88" inch measurement for the width...<g>...
              > WithOUT her help I got ~~44"...

              Sounds like the Skydog *I* met...

              Fuzzy
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...> wrote:
                > Sounds like the Skydog *I* met...

                Talked with Paul yesterday on the phone. He has some hikes in early
                Spring. One 33 miler in the Brandywine area. Care to join us...?

                J.D.