Re: top quilt width - Not folded

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
      > No... 36" wide total - not folded. This masterpiece was designed to
      > go over a T-Rest on the ground and NOT MOVE around. So, the flaps
      > tuck under and there is ALSO a Velcro attachment system holding it to
      > the T-Rest.
      >
      > > my heavyer (ray way) quilt is about 48" for the upper half
      >
      > Hmmm... That's much wider than I thought. I'm fairly skinny at 165
      > lbs. so maybe I don't need that width?

      The way you're supposed to figure the correct width for a Ray-Way
      quilt it to lie on your side and measure from the ground up over your
      shoulder and back down to the ground again. Then add 12 inches so it
      doesn't gap open around the bottom, if you're lying on your side. 36"
      is more like a winding shroud than a camping quilt.

      When I made my winter quilt last weekend, the width measurement by
      formula was 51". I increased that to 56.5" for extra tuck-in width.
      The Ray-Way quilt pattern has gotten fancier since a year ago, and now
      there's an option for a "draft-stopper" strip as well as a
      shaped "gorget" to go up and tuck around your head. For the winter
      quilt I included both options. It is quite a thing--huge, and puffy,
      and very, very purple.

      I'm hoping to get by a Super WM tomorrow to buy cheap materials for a
      trial insulated hammock. (Which will become the porch hammock for the
      winter.) If that works out, I'll get the more expensive materials to
      make a lighter version. I note that the Outdoor Fabric shop also
      stocks some purple nylon. Bring your sunglasses to Springer Dec.
      31st...

      Marta

      Marta
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
        <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
        > The way you're supposed to figure the correct width for a Ray-Way
        > quilt it to lie on your side and measure from the ground up over
        > your shoulder and back down to the ground again. Then add 12 inches
        > so it doesn't gap open around the bottom, if you're lying on your
        > side. 36" is more like a winding shroud than a camping quilt.

        Thank you, Marta!

        That makes sense "on the ground". But, in my hammock with SPE, I
        wouldn't think I need worry about it opening on the sides and bottom.
        My thinking is/was that it would just stay on "TOP". Hence the trem
        "Top Blanket"...?

        > It is quite a thing--huge, and puffy, and very, very purple.
        > I note that the Outdoor Fabric shop also
        > stocks some purple nylon. Bring your sunglasses to Springer Dec.
        > 31st...

        ...hehehe!

        Thanks again!

        J.D.