top quilt width

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
      jd... at 36" wide, your obviously talking about the quilt being
      folded over & ziped closed like a bag, right? that would make it
      about 72" wide when opened up & layed out flat. if so, then you could
      loose some width. my heavyer (ray way) quilt is about 48" for the
      upper half, but i wouldn`t mind it being 10" or so wider to make it a
      little easyer to keep tucked in when turning. it also gets a little
      more narrow towards the bottom. the last 15" or so at the bottom are
      sewed together to form a foot box. i made a quilt out of a down bag by
      sewing about 1 & 1/2" from the zipper...all the way down one side,
      around the bottom of the zipper, & back up the other side. 1st, i
      shook as much of the down away from the zipper so it would remain in
      the bag. then i cut away the zipper, folded the cut fabric edge over &
      hemed, then folded & hemed again. this left the original foot box in
      place & did away the w/ zipper & excess fabric (including 8 or 10" of
      excess length that i removed from the top/shoulder). now it`s my
      favorite quilt for fairly mild weather. it`s about 56-58" wide. it
      weighs 1 & 1/2 lbs, & i believe it will serve me well into the low 40s
      or even the 30s, depending on what i use w/ it. what`s your quilt
      insulated w/ ? ...slowhike
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...> wrote:
        > jd... at 36" wide, your obviously talking about the quilt being
        > folded over & ziped closed like a bag, right?

        No... 36" wide total - not folded. This masterpiece was designed to
        go over a T-Rest on the ground and NOT MOVE around. So, the flaps
        tuck under and there is ALSO a Velcro attachment system holding it to
        the T-Rest.

        > my heavyer (ray way) quilt is about 48" for the upper half

        Hmmm... That's much wider than I thought. I'm fairly skinny at 165
        lbs. so maybe I don't need that width?

        > i made a quilt out of a down bag

        Yes, I seem to remember that description.

        > now it`s my favorite quilt for fairly mild weather. it`s about
        > 56-58" wide. it weighs 1 & 1/2 lbs

        Well, that's the weight I am seeking; but, I am still amazed at the
        width. Just looked at Mr. Speer's "Top Blanket" - 41" wide @ 16 oz.

        Thanks for the response!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • marta_clark
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
          > No... 36" wide total - not folded. This masterpiece was designed to
          > go over a T-Rest on the ground and NOT MOVE around. So, the flaps
          > tuck under and there is ALSO a Velcro attachment system holding it to
          > the T-Rest.
          >
          > > my heavyer (ray way) quilt is about 48" for the upper half
          >
          > Hmmm... That's much wider than I thought. I'm fairly skinny at 165
          > lbs. so maybe I don't need that width?

          The way you're supposed to figure the correct width for a Ray-Way
          quilt it to lie on your side and measure from the ground up over your
          shoulder and back down to the ground again. Then add 12 inches so it
          doesn't gap open around the bottom, if you're lying on your side. 36"
          is more like a winding shroud than a camping quilt.

          When I made my winter quilt last weekend, the width measurement by
          formula was 51". I increased that to 56.5" for extra tuck-in width.
          The Ray-Way quilt pattern has gotten fancier since a year ago, and now
          there's an option for a "draft-stopper" strip as well as a
          shaped "gorget" to go up and tuck around your head. For the winter
          quilt I included both options. It is quite a thing--huge, and puffy,
          and very, very purple.

          I'm hoping to get by a Super WM tomorrow to buy cheap materials for a
          trial insulated hammock. (Which will become the porch hammock for the
          winter.) If that works out, I'll get the more expensive materials to
          make a lighter version. I note that the Outdoor Fabric shop also
          stocks some purple nylon. Bring your sunglasses to Springer Dec.
          31st...

          Marta

          Marta
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
            <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
            > The way you're supposed to figure the correct width for a Ray-Way
            > quilt it to lie on your side and measure from the ground up over
            > your shoulder and back down to the ground again. Then add 12 inches
            > so it doesn't gap open around the bottom, if you're lying on your
            > side. 36" is more like a winding shroud than a camping quilt.

            Thank you, Marta!

            That makes sense "on the ground". But, in my hammock with SPE, I
            wouldn't think I need worry about it opening on the sides and bottom.
            My thinking is/was that it would just stay on "TOP". Hence the trem
            "Top Blanket"...?

            > It is quite a thing--huge, and puffy, and very, very purple.
            > I note that the Outdoor Fabric shop also
            > stocks some purple nylon. Bring your sunglasses to Springer Dec.
            > 31st...

            ...hehehe!

            Thanks again!

            J.D.