{Spam?} [Hammock Camping] Re: electric hammock

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
      Ed,

      Be careful with the heating wires, I don't think you want to plug in
      12VDC heating wires into a 115VAC or 220VAC outlet at the campground.
      <grin> If my memory is correct, a little single cup water heater
      coil in the UK (240VAC?) heated up a cup of water quicker than a
      microwave would... something about V^2/R.

      Is the next evolution in hammock camping going to be a two-wheeled
      hammock with two-wheel drive AND two-wheel steering. I've already
      got a sidecar design that might work for that and Jeff's gear hammock
      might work out pretty well also.

      Dave

      > Seuss
      >

      > I didn't have time to check that web site until this am. Thanks.
      I'm
      > intrigued about adding heating wires to the bottom of a hammock and
      this
      > outfit looks promising. I'll call them today to see what they
      think..Ed

    • Moe T. Crow
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
        Ed. this link might be helpful also.
        http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/heatedclothing.html

        more of a DIY approach....

        On 11/30/05, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
        > Seuss
        >

        > I didn't have time to check that web site until this am. Thanks. I'm
        > intrigued about adding heating wires to the bottom of a hammock and this
        > outfit looks promising. I'll call them today to see what they think..Ed
        >

        > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
        >
        > Editor, Hammock Camping News
        >
        > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
        >

        > _____

        "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
      • seuss910
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
          Or you could skip the wires and make the entire hammock a heating
          element if you make it out of a carbon fiber electroconductive
          textile like Gorix. (www.gorix.com) Though that may be a little hard
          to come by and a little pricey if you could.

          >I'm
          > intrigued about adding heating wires to the bottom of a hammock and
          this
          > outfit looks promising. I'll call them today to see what they
          think..Ed

        • Tee
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
            http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html
            http://home.mebtel.net/~rbutterfield/Heat.html
            http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/other/make_heated_clothing.shtml

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
              Tee, thanks for the links. I've printed some of them to keep for reference.
              Now if I can just find time to do this project...Ed

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                Hey folks, lets forgo the wires and go direct to microwave heating. :]

                Ralph
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005

                  > Hey folks, lets forgo the wires and go direct to microwave
                  heating. :]

                  I was thinking that heating wires, and microwave heating for that
                  matter, wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Swedish Model standard.

                  In male and female versions, of course.
                • J.D. Hoessle
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                    > Hey folks, lets forgo the wires and go direct to microwave heating.

                    My thinking too, Ralph!

                    Just throw one of these babies on the camp fire, forget the batteries
                    and long wires, and plug in....!

                    <http://www.hi-z.com/websit04.htm>

                    J.D.
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                      > I was thinking that heating wires, and microwave heating for that
                      > matter, wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Swedish Model standard.
                      >
                      > In male and female versions, of course.

                      ??????????

                      Ralph
                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005

                        > > I was thinking that heating wires, and microwave heating for that
                        > > matter, wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Swedish Model
                        standard.

                        > > In male and female versions, of course.
                        >
                        > ??????????
                        >
                        > Ralph

                        Snuggling with a Swedish model is more comfy than a microwave.
                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Ahhh, When I googled I came up with a Swedish economic model for social
                          benefits. I didn't think any one could keepwarm with that.

                          Ralph

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005

                            > Ahhh, When I googled I came up with a Swedish economic model for
                            social
                            > benefits. I didn't think any one could keepwarm with that.

                            Haha - yeah, that would make anyone frigid...
                          • dlfrost_1
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>
                              wrote:
                              > Ed. this link might be helpful also.
                              > http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/heatedclothing.html
                              >
                              > more of a DIY approach....

                              Other good places to search for 12v heating pads are stores catering
                              to RV travellers and to off-the-grid greens. I saw this one on the
                              Little Houses group a couple of days ago...

                              http://www.kansaswindpower.net/bed_warmers.htm

                              Doug Frost