RE: {Spam?} [Hammock Camping] Re: electric hammock

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
      Seuss

      I didn't have time to check that web site until this am. Thanks. I'm
      intrigued about adding heating wires to the bottom of a hammock and this
      outfit looks promising. I'll call them today to see what they think..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
        Ed,

        Be careful with the heating wires, I don't think you want to plug in
        12VDC heating wires into a 115VAC or 220VAC outlet at the campground.
        <grin> If my memory is correct, a little single cup water heater
        coil in the UK (240VAC?) heated up a cup of water quicker than a
        microwave would... something about V^2/R.

        Is the next evolution in hammock camping going to be a two-wheeled
        hammock with two-wheel drive AND two-wheel steering. I've already
        got a sidecar design that might work for that and Jeff's gear hammock
        might work out pretty well also.

        Dave

        > Seuss
        >

        > I didn't have time to check that web site until this am. Thanks.
        I'm
        > intrigued about adding heating wires to the bottom of a hammock and
        this
        > outfit looks promising. I'll call them today to see what they
        think..Ed

      • Moe T. Crow
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
          Ed. this link might be helpful also.
          http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/heatedclothing.html

          more of a DIY approach....

          On 11/30/05, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
          > Seuss
          >

          > I didn't have time to check that web site until this am. Thanks. I'm
          > intrigued about adding heating wires to the bottom of a hammock and this
          > outfit looks promising. I'll call them today to see what they think..Ed
          >

          > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
          >
          > Editor, Hammock Camping News
          >
          > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
          >

          > _____

          "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
          matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
        • seuss910
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
            Or you could skip the wires and make the entire hammock a heating
            element if you make it out of a carbon fiber electroconductive
            textile like Gorix. (www.gorix.com) Though that may be a little hard
            to come by and a little pricey if you could.

            >I'm
            > intrigued about adding heating wires to the bottom of a hammock and
            this
            > outfit looks promising. I'll call them today to see what they
            think..Ed

          • Tee
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
              http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html
              http://home.mebtel.net/~rbutterfield/Heat.html
              http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/other/make_heated_clothing.shtml

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                Tee, thanks for the links. I've printed some of them to keep for reference.
                Now if I can just find time to do this project...Ed

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                  Hey folks, lets forgo the wires and go direct to microwave heating. :]

                  Ralph
                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005

                    > Hey folks, lets forgo the wires and go direct to microwave
                    heating. :]

                    I was thinking that heating wires, and microwave heating for that
                    matter, wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Swedish Model standard.

                    In male and female versions, of course.
                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                      > Hey folks, lets forgo the wires and go direct to microwave heating.

                      My thinking too, Ralph!

                      Just throw one of these babies on the camp fire, forget the batteries
                      and long wires, and plug in....!

                      <http://www.hi-z.com/websit04.htm>

                      J.D.
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                        > I was thinking that heating wires, and microwave heating for that
                        > matter, wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Swedish Model standard.
                        >
                        > In male and female versions, of course.

                        ??????????

                        Ralph
                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005

                          > > I was thinking that heating wires, and microwave heating for that
                          > > matter, wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Swedish Model
                          standard.

                          > > In male and female versions, of course.
                          >
                          > ??????????
                          >
                          > Ralph

                          Snuggling with a Swedish model is more comfy than a microwave.
                        • Ralph Oborn
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
                            Ahhh, When I googled I came up with a Swedish economic model for social
                            benefits. I didn't think any one could keepwarm with that.

                            Ralph

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005

                              > Ahhh, When I googled I came up with a Swedish economic model for
                              social
                              > benefits. I didn't think any one could keepwarm with that.

                              Haha - yeah, that would make anyone frigid...
                            • dlfrost_1
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>
                                wrote:
                                > Ed. this link might be helpful also.
                                > http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/heatedclothing.html
                                >
                                > more of a DIY approach....

                                Other good places to search for 12v heating pads are stores catering
                                to RV travellers and to off-the-grid greens. I saw this one on the
                                Little Houses group a couple of days ago...

                                http://www.kansaswindpower.net/bed_warmers.htm

                                Doug Frost