Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Fw: RE: electric hammock (vest)

  • Moe T. Crow
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2005
      Rosaleen,
      the best part about riding in the winter with the electrics is the
      looks you get from people who just "know" your crazy. What they don't
      understand is how quickly those suits warm up. They run on a toaster
      like technology (current to small wires gets them hot fast, just like
      your toaster). the really strange part is that I get warmer faster on
      my bike than in my truck....

      and a hammock makes a PERFECT way to camp on a bike. it takes up much
      less volume than a tent, and it seems to help your body recover much
      faster from a long day on the road. it even helps with security for
      the bike, i tie a piece of fishing line from the bike to the hammock,
      and I know from expierence (a friend moving my bike for me) that the
      sudden shaking will wake me up :-) My last long trip (2 weeks 6k
      miles) it was my primary sleeping arrangement. the guys i rode with
      complained untill they all purchased a 6" thick air mattress that cost
      much more than my hammock, and i was STILL more comfortable!

      guess some people never learn.....

      On 11/29/05, Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
      > Michael-
      >
      > Sleeping in a hammock while on a motorcycle tour sounds like a great idea. If one could use the electric suit that is used with the bike fpr sleeping, it would be a great multiple use.
      >
      > One of my sons had an electric suit for his bike years ago. We still laugh about his showing up at someone's door with ice covering his leathers while he was warm enough on the inside of the suit. Quite a picture, huh?
      >
      > Rosaleen
      >

      > From: carterm@...<mailto:carterm@...>
      > Subject: Fw: RE: electric hammock (vest)
      >

      > I have a 12V electric vest that I use for motorcycling. Seems like that would work well in a hammock.
      > It wouldn't have to be folded. They make entire suits as well. Seems like the vest was ~$100 when I bought it several years ago.
      > The vest works well - when your torso is warm, your whole body feels warm. I use it into the teens on the bike and stay very warm (think 70MPH winds!). I think I'll measure the current draw, and see how much drain it would put on a battery overnight.
      >
      > OTOH, I slept VERY toasty in my hammock during my Standing Indian hike this past week. Unless it got into the low teens, I don't think I'd need the electrics in it.
      >
      > Michael

      "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
      matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss