Layering?

  • PennyBright
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
      I'm gearing up for my first test of winter hammocking, and was planning
      on adding a fleece liner bag I have to my system.

      Any idea if it would be more efficient insulation wise to use the liner
      inside my bag , or around it on the outside? I'm thinking that inside it
      would reduce my dead air space (my bag is a little large for me), but
      outside it would protect the warmth in the loft from being stripped away as
      easily.

      Also, if I used it outside the bag, I think I might be able to slide the
      blue pad into it..... I'm not sure, I'm going to test that later today. I'm
      not sure if there would be any value in that or not.

      Anna

      --
      http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, PennyBright <GreenSoul@g...> wrote:
        > I'm gearing up for my first test of winter hammocking, and was
        > planning on adding a fleece liner bag I have to my system.

        Anna,

        The resident expert on that will be Rosaleen. She should uses a liner
        and I am sure will chime in here soon.

        As an example, Rosaleen and I a bunch of other hammockers hooked-up
        recently. While I was estaticalyy babbling away and using my new
        Speer + SPE + Exped DAM, she was quitely setting up and was toasty
        warm using a down bag and liner.

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
          penny... i`ll go ahead & through in my thoughts. i realize your doing this test in the back yard & so the following is not that big a deal, but you`ll brobably want to test what you would actualy be using on the trail. fleece can`t match a quilt or clothing filled w/ a puffer insulation like down or synthtic fill (as in weight to warmth, also bulk). you may not have time to make a switch if your going to test tonight, but for testing sake, walmart has some extraloft poly batting that works great along w/ nylon from the $1.00 bin. OR if you have a puffy jacket & pants, that`s what i would likly be sleeping in in cold weather. and they would help fill the extra room inside your bag. ...slowhike

          PennyBright <GreenSoul@...> wrote: I'm gearing up for my first test of winter hammocking, and was planning
          on adding a fleece liner bag I have to my system.

          Any idea if it would be more efficient insulation wise to use the liner
          inside my bag , or around it on the outside? I'm thinking that inside it
          would reduce my dead air space (my bag is a little large for me), but
          outside it would protect the warmth in the loft from being stripped away as
          easily.

          Also, if I used it outside the bag, I think I might be able to slide the
          blue pad into it..... I'm not sure, I'm going to test that later today. I'm
          not sure if there would be any value in that or not.

          Anna

          --
          http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

          tim garner

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
            I would use it wherever you feel cold. You will definitely need the
            blue pad underneath you, in my estimation. Once you open your
            sleeping bag and put it on like a foot-boxed quilt, I don't think you
            will have any problems with excess dead air space.

            So I'd start with the pad and the bag, and see where you get cold,
            and put the liner there. In the future you may get more
            sophisticated and do something more complex...

            Bill in Houston

            wrote:

            > I'm gearing up for my first test of winter hammocking, and was
            planning
            > on adding a fleece liner bag I have to my system.
            >
            > Any idea if it would be more efficient insulation wise to use the
            liner
            > inside my bag , or around it on the outside? I'm thinking that
            inside it
            > would reduce my dead air space (my bag is a little large for me),
            but
            > outside it would protect the warmth in the loft from being stripped
            away as
            > easily.
            >
            > Also, if I used it outside the bag, I think I might be able to
            slide the
            > blue pad into it..... I'm not sure, I'm going to test that later
            today. I'm
            > not sure if there would be any value in that or not.
            >
            > Anna

          • PennyBright
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005

              > "you`ll brobably want to test what you would actualy be using on the
              > trail". --

              Yeah, that's the idea. *lol* the fleece liner/summer weight bag being
              what I've got that I could use on the trail.

              Right now I'm trying to work with what I have to see if I can make a
              working, not too heavy, winter system. If I can't put something together
              with my current stuff, then I'll work up ideas about what gear I might want
              to gift myself with before next year, but right now my budget just won't go
              there.

              Bill, I am totally there on needing the blue pad underneath me... I'm
              wondering if putting liner around the blue pad and my bag might work well --
              sort of like the Big Agnes bags have that pad pocket. Provide the extra
              insulating layer, and help keep the blue pad from sliding around.

              It looks like I'm looking at about 25 degree temps tomorrow night.....
              we'll see how it goes.

              Anna

              http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

            • AndrĂ© Corterier
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                Careful with the term "dead air space". Dead air space is "dead" (as
                in: the air does not move around in it enough to effect convective
                heat loss) only when the volume of air is small. Hence, down
                insulation with its many, many individual fibers creates many *very
                small* individual spaces of air (this is slightly simplistic, but
                will do). I am not sure at what volume of uninterrupted air
                convection starts, but am rather sure that a cubic inch is more than
                enough. That's why garden variety air mats don't insulate at all
                well. So the "extra" space you have in your sleeping bag likely
                isn't "dead" air space but extra space you a) need to warm up and b)
                contributes to convective heat loss.

                So my money would be on keeping the liner in the bag in order to
                reduce "live" air space.

                Of course, if you're doing this close to home and the forecast is for
                two similar nights in a row, I'd suggest you try it out both ways and
                see for yourself which is better.

                Finally, if the "liner" is large enough to accommodate both the pad
                and the bag (without pressing down on the bag's loft) it must be
                huge. Probably better to have a liner for the inside of the bag (you
                don't want anything to press down on your bag from above).

                André

                wrote:

                > I'm gearing up for my first test of winter hammocking, and was
                planning
                > on adding a fleece liner bag I have to my system.
                >
                > Any idea if it would be more efficient insulation wise to use the
                liner
                > inside my bag , or around it on the outside? I'm thinking that
                inside it
                > would reduce my dead air space (my bag is a little large for me),
                but
                > outside it would protect the warmth in the loft from being stripped
                away as
                > easily.
                >
                > Also, if I used it outside the bag, I think I might be able to
                slide the
                > blue pad into it..... I'm not sure, I'm going to test that later
                today. I'm
                > not sure if there would be any value in that or not.
                >
                > Anna
                >
                > --
                > http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > Any idea if it would be more efficient insulation wise to use the
                  liner
                  > inside my bag , or around it on the outside? I'm thinking that
                  inside it
                  > would reduce my dead air space (my bag is a little large for me),
                  but
                  > outside it would protect the warmth in the loft from being stripped
                  away as
                  > easily.
                  [and #11534]
                  > Right now I'm trying to work with what I have to see if I can
                  make a
                  > working, not too heavy, winter system. If I can't put something
                  together
                  > with my current stuff, then I'll work up ideas about what gear I
                  might want
                  > to gift myself with before next year, but right now my budget just
                  won't go
                  > there.

                  The closer the insulation is to your body the more efficient it is
                  and the less of it you need. So the thing to do is get a fleece
                  top/bottom combo and wear that to bed instead of a fleece bag.
                  They'll also keep you warm after you get out of bed, which a liner
                  can't do.

                  Fleece is pretty inexpensive to get now. For example, Target
                  currently has a microfleece top (anorak or full-zip) on sale for
                  $14. (Carefully check the fit before buying.) I've gotten
                  lightweight fleece pants for $9 at Burlington Coat Factory. You
                  don't have to blow all your dough. :-) Go have a look at the
                  Backpacking Cheap group here on Yahoo for some great ideas and
                  leads...

                  Doug Frost
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Fleece liner on the inside, it "clings" to you better and keeps the
                    dead air spacedown like you said.
                    If you need more on the oudside,

                    On 11/30/05, PennyBright <GreenSoul@...> wrote:
                    > I'm gearing up for my first test of winter hammocking, and was planning
                    > on adding a fleece liner bag I have to my system.
                    >
                    > Any idea if it would be more efficient insulation wise to use the liner
                    > inside my bag , or around it on the outside? I'm thinking that inside it
                    > would reduce my dead air space (my bag is a little large for me), but
                    > outside it would protect the warmth in the loft from being stripped away as
                    > easily.
                    >
                    > Also, if I used it outside the bag, I think I might be able to slide the
                    > blue pad into it..... I'm not sure, I'm going to test that later today. I'm
                    > not sure if there would be any value in that or not.
                    >
                    > Anna
                    >
                    > --
                    > http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

                    > ________________________________

                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
                      wrote:
                      > Fleece is pretty inexpensive to get now. For example, Target
                      > currently has a microfleece top (anorak or full-zip) on sale for
                      > $14. (Carefully check the fit before buying.) I've gotten
                      > lightweight fleece pants for $9 at Burlington Coat Factory.

                      Are these any kind of windstopper fleece? Or just normal fleece that
                      would require a windproof shell?

                      I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
                      fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive so I haven't bought one
                      yet. Of course, since I always have my rain jacket it's not a big
                      deal, but I figure if I get loft+wind protection for the same weight
                      as loft by buying a better quality fleece, it might be worth the money
                      to save my rain jacket the wear and tear.

                      But then there's the Montbell Thermawrap, too...
                    • dlfrost_1
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                        > Are these any kind of windstopper fleece? Or just normal fleece
                        that
                        > would require a windproof shell?

                        These are normal, breathable fleece.

                        > I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
                        > fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive so I haven't bought
                        one
                        > yet.

                        I'm in agreement with the others here that a seperate windshell is
                        better. You can switch out componants to match conditions, and the
                        ventilation is more flexible.

                        Doug Frost
                      • J.D. Hoessle
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
                          > > I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but the "hi-tech"
                          > > fabrics like windstopper are pretty expensive
                          ... so I haven't bought
                          > I'm in agreement with the others here that a seperate windshell is
                          > better. You can switch out componants to match conditions, and the
                          > ventilation is more flexible.

                          Yes, I use a very similar "system".

                          This has worked quite well for me:

                          1st Layer - Thin inexpensive polypro
                          2nd Layer - Montane / Pertex Wind Shirt (More expensive)
                          3rd Layer - Inexpensive fleece (200?) full-zip jacket

                          That combo works for me even into the teens as long as I am moving.
                          If there is rain/snow, I put my Froggs over top. Also pull out the
                          Froggs when I stop to keep from getting too chilled to quickly.

                          As you say above, this is more flexible and I can "match" conditions.
                          The slight drawback & annoyance is that it takes a few minutes to
                          strip off the wind shirt when I get too hot.

                          Happy Trails,

                          J.D.
                        • john hill
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
                            I've used my blue pad inside my fleece bag and it worked pretty good except my pad is only 20 inches wide so when i let my buttocks off the edge of the pad it got kinda cold. The blue pad also helps keep the fleece bag in place. The SPE is one way to go to make it work better cause I need a pad about 30 inches wide when i sleep on my side and that'll do it - course I don't have one, I'll have to make my own I guess.

                            john

                            PennyBright <GreenSoul@...> wrote:

                            > "you`ll brobably want to test what you would actualy be using on the
                            > trail". --

                            Yeah, that's the idea. *lol* the fleece liner/summer weight bag being
                            what I've got that I could use on the trail.

                            Right now I'm trying to work with what I have to see if I can make a
                            working, not too heavy, winter system. If I can't put something together
                            with my current stuff, then I'll work up ideas about what gear I might want
                            to gift myself with before next year, but right now my budget just won't go
                            there.

                            Bill, I am totally there on needing the blue pad underneath me... I'm
                            wondering if putting liner around the blue pad and my bag might work well --
                            sort of like the Big Agnes bags have that pad pocket. Provide the extra
                            insulating layer, and help keep the blue pad from sliding around.

                            It looks like I'm looking at about 25 degree temps tomorrow night.....
                            we'll see how it goes.

                            Anna

                            http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

                          • chcoa
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005

                              > But then there's the Montbell Thermawrap, too...

                              I was just looking at these. Anyone have one? How is it?

                              jamie d