Re: 12 V blanket

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hey, Ed-

      Lest people start anticipating posts from me about my electric blanket-hammock testing: I am NOT planning to venture there. The blanket is backup in case I have to retreat to sleep inside the truck for some reason. Like maybe driving to a trail head to go backpacking and hammock camping. Seashell and I spent a couple of nights under my truck cap on the way to Hot Springs last April, and we could have used its help then. I think we each had piled on any warm item we could find. I finally suggested we drive some more to take advantage of the cab's heater and MAYBE farther south or in a more sheltered area we'd be able to try to sleep some more. That or find a couple of nice, furry dogs to borrow. and snuggle up against.

      I'm not familiar with the small medical heating pads or nursery seedling heating pads that you mention. I have wondered about the rechargeable hand warmers. You may recall some liquid filled hand warmers that had a small metal disc inside. Flexing the disc started some chemical reaction that resulted in heat. The pads could be recharged by boiling for maybe 10 minutes. By the time I'd carry the weight of a few of them, plus the fuel needed to recharge, I might as well have another sleeping bag, probably. My favorite heating aid is still my windshield-reflector-wrapped Gatorade bottle. Keeps my stream-cold tea cold for a few hours, keeps my coffee hot for maybe an hour, and doesn't leak when used as a hot water bottle by my feet. (Be SURE the cap is screwed on straight and completely.)

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      From: "Ed Speer" <ed@...<mailto:ed@...>>
      Subject: RE: Digest Number 1080

      Roseleen,

      Since I don't have a 12v electric blanket, I've not tried such an
      arrangement myself. But my recent electric sleeping pad works great in my
      bed and I was wondering about how to adapt it to my hammock when I read your
      post. I've also wondered about using small medical heating pads or the
      stiff heating pads for use beneath seedlings in a nursery. I know; I'm
      weird and my mind just goes out of control sometimes-is there no end to this
      madness??

      Anxious to hear how your testing works out...Ed