RE: [Hammock Camping] mt mitchell

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
      the time i hiked up that trail was years ago. i did a 3 night, solo, winter trip. i remember near the top there were large areas of ice build-up covering the trail & every thing around it. i bushwacked through the woods a short ways to avoid it. that was one of my 1st & most memorable winter adventures. bear tracks in the snow, then seeing him at a distance...the tracks of a bobcat chasing a rabbit for quite a ways on the black mt crest trail before they suddenly left the trail, going down through the woods. i don`t know how that story ended. anyway, we`ll keep an eye out for that weekend & if it works out for you & others, we`ll do it. thanks...slowhike

      Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote: Slowhike

      That weekend (Dec 17-18) would be a bit tight for me, but count me in
      anyway. Weather permitting, an overnighter would be fun. A little snow
      wouldn't be a problem, but ice would-the uppermost trail is very treacherous
      when icy. Of course, we could hike up & camp just below the ice zone.

      Coy, we'll miss ya. Youngblood, any chance you could join us? Anyone else?
      ..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc