Re: [Hammock Camping] mt mitchell

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
      I don't think I can make it. I'm still rehabing my knee from the
      surgery I had on Nov. 1st. I'm hoping I'll be able to handle the
      climb to Springer on NYE, haven't been able to do too much with it
      yet but I am improving.

      Coy, I've got a couple of your stuff sacks (from Ed).

      Dave

      > Slowhike
      >

      > That weekend (Dec 17-18) would be a bit tight for me, but count me
      in
      > anyway. Weather permitting, an overnighter would be fun. A little
      snow
      > wouldn't be a problem, but ice would-the uppermost trail is very
      treacherous
      > when icy. Of course, we could hike up & camp just below the ice
      zone.

      > Coy, we'll miss ya. Youngblood, any chance you could join us?
      Anyone else?
      > ..Ed

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
        I knew you knee was bothering you and that you mentiond possible
        surgery but did not know you had had the surgery yet. Hope the
        recovery goes well. I been busy and with Codys surgry and that
        along with looking at his school scedual means he is out for a
        hiking partner awhile. I was planning to see if you might be up for
        a hike sometime during week of Dec 19 -24, possibly meeting Bill for
        a little hiking on his hike down to Springer.

        Maybe after New Years we can hike somewhere that would be fairly
        easy on the knees. Haven't made up a scdual for next year so I'm
        not sure when I'm off etc...

        Coy Boy

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
          the time i hiked up that trail was years ago. i did a 3 night, solo, winter trip. i remember near the top there were large areas of ice build-up covering the trail & every thing around it. i bushwacked through the woods a short ways to avoid it. that was one of my 1st & most memorable winter adventures. bear tracks in the snow, then seeing him at a distance...the tracks of a bobcat chasing a rabbit for quite a ways on the black mt crest trail before they suddenly left the trail, going down through the woods. i don`t know how that story ended. anyway, we`ll keep an eye out for that weekend & if it works out for you & others, we`ll do it. thanks...slowhike

          Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote: Slowhike

          That weekend (Dec 17-18) would be a bit tight for me, but count me in
          anyway. Weather permitting, an overnighter would be fun. A little snow
          wouldn't be a problem, but ice would-the uppermost trail is very treacherous
          when icy. Of course, we could hike up & camp just below the ice zone.

          Coy, we'll miss ya. Youngblood, any chance you could join us? Anyone else?
          ..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc