Re: winter hammock test.

  • Greg Welker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2005
      I've tried the idea of the sleeping bag totally over and around me in the
      hammock, but found it too constricting. I'd rather build a peapod like
      device (perhaps what I'm describing as an underquilt would be better termed
      something like that - what would you call it generically?

      The hammock I'm proposing won't be my only source of insulation - the
      sleeping bag is going, and so would, likely a blue foam pad or some pad if
      I have to go to ground. In that line, one of the interesting things you
      can do if your hammock setup gets too cold is to go to ground in your bag
      and put the underquilt over top of you. Works pretty well, and gives a
      better temp rating than when it's one the hammock - I know, heresy!. :)

      I'm in the midatlantic - VA/MD/WV/PA backpacking area.