Re:materials for stuff

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28 4:18 PM
      David-

      Can't speak to the actual use of silk as a sleeping bag inner layer. I would suggest checking friends to see if their experience with silk clothing is similar to mine. Silk can be nearly as bad as Spinnaker as far as seams being "tear here" perforations after some time. It would seriously stink to put the time, money, and effort into making a baffled bag that rips open along the stitching lines...The there is the question of "down-proof" quality of the fabric...

      Your second question about heat reflective materials. Well, how durable? I've had reasonable luck with gold or silver tissue lame. It is a blend of nylon and metallic threads. Find it in with dressy fabrics. I have found it in WalMart as well as real "fabric stores."

      Good luck!

      Rosaleen

      From: "little_daddy979" <little_daddy979@...<mailto:little_daddy979@...>>
      Subject: materials for stuff

      just a few question regarding making stuff
      has anybody had experience using silk as the inner layer of a bag and
      quilting to it? durable .7 oz/yd is mighty inviting
      and, has anybody seen a durable nylon or polyester that reflects heat
      like a space blanket but doesn't rip if you look at it funny?
      thanks, David in the Mountains