RE: [Hammock Camping] mt mitchell

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
      Slowhike….70-72 lbs!!! Wow, that’s impressive. And I have trouble just
      getting my skinny bones up that mountain! I’m most fond of the trail up
      from black mt campground—actually hiked it over 25 times as prep for my AT
      hike. It’s 6 miles of continuous up (3,600’ gain) and makes an ideal up &
      back training day hike. There is good water along the upper ½ of the trail
      and lots of hammock trees--although the pine beetle, the Hemlock Woolly
      Adelgid, & recent wind storms have damaged some of the upper forests. Count
      me in most any time for an overnighter….Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
        Slowhike

        That weekend (Dec 17-18) would be a bit tight for me, but count me in
        anyway. Weather permitting, an overnighter would be fun. A little snow
        wouldn't be a problem, but ice would-the uppermost trail is very treacherous
        when icy. Of course, we could hike up & camp just below the ice zone.

        Coy, we'll miss ya. Youngblood, any chance you could join us? Anyone else?

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
          I don't think I can make it. I'm still rehabing my knee from the
          surgery I had on Nov. 1st. I'm hoping I'll be able to handle the
          climb to Springer on NYE, haven't been able to do too much with it
          yet but I am improving.

          Coy, I've got a couple of your stuff sacks (from Ed).

          Dave

          > Slowhike
          >

          > That weekend (Dec 17-18) would be a bit tight for me, but count me
          in
          > anyway. Weather permitting, an overnighter would be fun. A little
          snow
          > wouldn't be a problem, but ice would-the uppermost trail is very
          treacherous
          > when icy. Of course, we could hike up & camp just below the ice
          zone.

          > Coy, we'll miss ya. Youngblood, any chance you could join us?
          Anyone else?
          > ..Ed

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
            I knew you knee was bothering you and that you mentiond possible
            surgery but did not know you had had the surgery yet. Hope the
            recovery goes well. I been busy and with Codys surgry and that
            along with looking at his school scedual means he is out for a
            hiking partner awhile. I was planning to see if you might be up for
            a hike sometime during week of Dec 19 -24, possibly meeting Bill for
            a little hiking on his hike down to Springer.

            Maybe after New Years we can hike somewhere that would be fairly
            easy on the knees. Haven't made up a scdual for next year so I'm
            not sure when I'm off etc...

            Coy Boy