Clark Junglehammock

  • Jeff Walters
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2003
      I was looking at hammocks and came across the Jungle Hammock Deluxe..
      this one looks great. it is a bit heavy, at 3.8 lbs but its extras
      are very cool. Anyone have experience with this Hammock? I really
      like the weather shield, the extra large fly and the pockets beneath
      the hammock that in winter creat a air chamber so that the cold air
      doesnt hit the inner liner..
      any info would be great

      thanks

      ~jeff
    • Amy
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2003
        I'm packing up for a month on the trail, and I had to fit a new space
        blanket to my
        hammock to replace the old one, which is held together by duct tape.
        And I
        have this new windshield thingie, so I thought I'd see how it all worked
        together.

        First I got in the hammock on top of my Z-rest with the windshield
        thingie
        turned shiny side up under the Z-rest. I had been comfie in the yard in
        my
        shorts, tank top, and fleece jacket. I was uncomfortably warm in the
        hammock.

        Then I tied on the space blanket, took off my fleece jacket, and got
        inside.
        Holey moley! I could only stay there for a few moments. I didn't add
        the trashbags inside the space blanket, though I'll take them on the
        trail
        with me. I'm having a hard time imagining weather in which I'd need
        them. :)
        It was *hot* in there.

        While I was at it I replaced the fly guylines with reflective line, and
        tied
        a little bit of extra reflective line at the foot end so I can keep
        track of
        which is which while it's in snakeskins. I love being able to find my
        campsite easily in the dark, and that reflective stuff really does the
        trick.

        -amy
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2003
          Message
          Hi Jeff, my experience with the Clark Hammock is generally positive. The features you mentioned are nice. Some folks find it hard to sleep diagonally off the centerline, which is generally more comfortable. The Clark is certainly well made and rugged. It would probably work fine for car or canoe camping. However, mine sleeps clamy since the bottom fabric is urethane coated (this seems unnecessary for a jungle hammock). I know the Clark has been used successfuly on many adventures around the world. How large is the fly on the Delux?, mine is quite small....Ed

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2003
            the info on the page indicates that its 38" larger than the standard
            fly they have been using. It cost 20 bucks more. 100 inches at the
            head, 63 " at the foot..

            ~Jeff

            > Hi Jeff, my experience with the Clark Hammock is generally
            positive. The
            > features you mentioned are nice. Some folks find it hard to sleep
            > diagonally off the centerline, which is generally more comfortable.
            The
            > Clark is certainly well made and rugged. It would probably work
            fine for
            > car or canoe camping. However, mine sleeps clamy since the bottom
            fabric
            > is urethane coated (this seems unnecessary for a jungle hammock). I
            know
            > the Clark has been used successfuly on many adventures around the
            world.
            > How large is the fly on the Delux?, mine is quite small....Ed

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=17
            05

            065843:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27, 2003
              Message
              That fly size is a bit better than their earlier model. I prefer an 8X10 because of the advantange of keeping dry while getting in and out of the hammock. I'm not sure the Delux fly is adquate, but it is better than before...Ed