RE: {Spam?} [Hammock Camping] on line weather station

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
      Coy, Tim

      I've hammocked many times on Mt Mitchell-but not in the park campground.
      Camping elsewhere in the park is not allowed either, but the park is small &
      it's easy to find your way out of it. The popular Commissary Ridge
      primitive campsite is outside the SP & lies in the National Forest at 6,000'
      elevation! Hammock trees can be found in the area of the usual camping
      meadow with a little effort. This is not a drive-to campsite-about an easy
      3 mile hike. Like wise many high elevation hammock sites can be found along
      the Mt Mitchell Trail (now part of the Mountain-To-Sea Trail) between
      Commissary Ridge and the Black Mountain Campground-this is a wonderful but
      steep 6 mile trail. This is my favorite trail and one that I hike often.
      I'd sure be interested in joining anyone who plans to hike it. Great place
      to test cold weather gear! ...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
        that sounds great. I'll put it on the list of possible hiking places
        even though it is a little far to drive for an ovenighter. I have my
        eye on the north ga mountian this winter. course i work on new years
        eve so will miss springer again.

        Coy Boy

        > Coy, Tim
        >

        > I've hammocked many times on Mt Mitchell-but not in the park campground.
        > Camping elsewhere in the park is not allowed either, but the park is
        small &
        > it's easy to find your way out of it. The popular Commissary Ridge
        > primitive campsite is outside the SP & lies in the National Forest
        at 6,000'
        > elevation! Hammock trees can be found in the area of the usual camping
        > meadow with a little effort. This is not a drive-to campsite-about
        an easy
        > 3 mile hike. Like wise many high elevation hammock sites can be
        found along
        > the Mt Mitchell Trail (now part of the Mountain-To-Sea Trail) between
        > Commissary Ridge and the Black Mountain Campground-this is a
        wonderful but
        > steep 6 mile trail. This is my favorite trail and one that I hike
        often.
        > I'd sure be interested in joining anyone who plans to hike it.
        Great place
        > to test cold weather gear! ...Ed
        >

        > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
        >
        > Editor, Hammock Camping News
        >
        > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
        >

        > _____

      • john hill

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, john hill <nil_dog@y...> wrote:

            > I'm sorry and it might have been already mentioned, but where is Mt.
            Mitchell?

            > thanks,
            > john

            Mt. Mitchell is in North Carolina. It's the tallest mountain in the
            east, slightly taller than Mt. Washington. You can drive almost to
            the top of it, but there are also many hiking trails in the area.

            Marta
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@y...>
              wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, john hill <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm sorry and it might have been already mentioned, but where is
              Mt.
              > Mitchell?
              > >
              > > thanks,
              > > john
              >
              > Mt. Mitchell is in North Carolina. It's the tallest mountain in the
              > east, slightly taller than Mt. Washington. You can drive almost to
              > the top of it, but there are also many hiking trails in the area.
              >
              > Marta

              Marta,

              You go by Ed's house in western NC and look for the highest mountain
              around... that should be it. You know which Ed I'm talking about...
              Ed "I can see Mount Mitchell" Speer.

              Dave
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
                Yep, Mt Mitchell is almost right out my back door. The 6 mi. long Old
                Mitchell Trail is one of my favorites for training or staying in shape.
                Yesterday though, I hiked in Linville Gorge Wilderness Area with a friend.
                This is also a convenient destination. Since I played yesterday, I'm back
                at the computer today...Ed