Who is on board.

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
      Hi All. I am reluctant to mention this but here goes. We now have
      51 members. Not bad for a couple of weeks, but so far only 12
      folks have posted anything. I know that is a high percentage
      compared to some of the bigger groups. Anyways, I looked over the
      member link and was not familiar with a lot of the names on the
      list. So, with such a small group it would be nice to have each
      person identify themselves. Just what state (or country) your from
      and if you want to tell a little about your camping style great.
      Like I would have never known Ed liked caving except for him
      mentioning it when talking about watching and learning from animals.
      So I'll go first and hope to hear from others.

      PS Dont feel obligated to include as much info as I did. But it goes
      to reason, you will be more willing to participate in discusions if
      you feel you are among friends.

      Hi. Coy Boy here. 40 years young. Born and raised in Bama. Like to
      camp and backpack, hunt and fish (if they are biting), canoe, and
      generally hang out outdoors. Love sleeping in my Hammock. I have an
      Original Hennessy. Wife and 2 kids half grown. Spend a lot of time
      going to ball games and practice but enjoying them as long as I can.
      Camp out close to home and generally plan my backpacking trips in
      the Southeast.

      Coy Boy
    • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
        Great idea Coy Boy. Glad to hear about your 'bama camping. I have
        distant cousins in 'bama but seldom get down there.

        My trail name is Not To Worry. I live in the mountains of western NC
        and have more fabulous outdoor destinations to choose from than I
        could ever get to; but I'm trying. I'm a retired exploration
        geologist--yep, worked all my life outdoors, maily searching for
        gold,silver or diamond deposits for mining companies! Have worked
        all over the US, and parts of Canada, South America and Africa. I've
        also always spent most of my spare time outdoors, hiking, camping,
        canoeing, fishing, & caving. I've done some epic trips like a 1,600-
        mile solo kayak trip along the west coast of Canada to Alaska, and
        two end-to-end hikes of the Appalachian Trail. Always with my
        hammock. I started making hammocks last year for my freinds and it
        kinda grew from there--now I have a hammock making company and just
        published a book on the subject. How do I find so much time to be
        outdoors--I'm single (it does have some benefits!)....Ed 'Not To
        Worry' Speer
      • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
          Dang it Ed. Not that I'd trade my wife or kids in for anything but
          all that travling and adventure. I'm jealous! That solo kayak trip
          sounds like a splendid trip. I hope to hike the thru-hike the AT
          and canoe extensivly in the Boundry Waters. Lord Willing I will be
          able to do this when I retire.

          Coy Boy

          PS Good luck with the hammock company!

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer <info@s...>"

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
            You can do it! Never give up the dream. I always remember the
            advice of a little grey-haired grandmother I met once who was out
            doing some grand adventures of her own--she kept saying "Just do it!"

            You've also just mentioned one of my favorite places on earth--
            Boundary Waters! If I had only one last outdoor visit to make,
            that's where I would go!....Ed

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"
            <starnescr@y...> wrote:
            > Dang it Ed. Not that I'd trade my wife or kids in for anything but
            > all that travling and adventure. I'm jealous! That solo kayak trip
            > sounds like a splendid trip. I hope to hike the thru-hike the AT
            > and canoe extensivly in the Boundry Waters. Lord Willing I will be
            > able to do this when I retire.
            >
            > Coy Boy
            >
            > PS Good luck with the hammock company!

          • J Cornelius
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003

              Ok, I guess I can do some inputting too – Jodi in NW PA – married to the same man for 23 years – 2 sons 21 and 19 – love computers, learning to backpack lightweight, hunting and fishing (regardless if they are biting) canoeing also, no hammock except a VERY old Jungle hammock that I wouldn’t trust to hold me but that was b4 I learned about hammock hiking.  Oh yeah, I’m female if no one noticed (grin) and am 40 also.

              Jodi who is definitely not what is called “normal”

              Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
                I know I promised not to respond to each intro. But Jodie

                Good Idea to pass on the Jungle Hammock. Not the Clark Jungle
                hammock as I believe from what I have read that it is OK. For weight
                I would steer you towards a Hennesy or one of Ed's Speer hammocks.

                Fishing when they aint bittin is a waste of time. LOL

                PS I forgot to mention in my intro that I enjoy caving but as I get
                older crawling for hours aint as much fun as it used to be.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
                wrote:
                > Ok, I guess I can do some inputting too - Jodi in NW PA - married
                to the
                > same man for 23 years - 2 sons 21 and 19 - love computers,
                learning to
                > backpack lightweight, hunting and fishing (regardless if they are
                > biting) canoeing also, no hammock except a VERY old Jungle hammock
                that
                > I wouldn't trust to hold me but that was b4 I learned about hammock
                > hiking. Oh yeah, I'm female if no one noticed (grin) and am 40
                also.

                > Jodi who is definitely not what is called "normal"
                >
                > Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2861420.4212388.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1
                705

                065843:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http:/www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGT
                V_3

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
                  Message
                  Will you be at the PA Ruck Jan 17-19 Jodi? I'll be there with hammocks and books.

                  Also, I love your signature slogan!....Ed

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
                    Message

                    No, Ed, the print/label company I work for is in the process of moving from our current location to a new one and will be doing all that crap this month <sigh>  I really wanted to go to the PA Ruck too, but I guess I’ll have to wait til next year – btw, tho, how much is your book??  I didn’t realize you had a book!

                    Jodi

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
                      Message
                      Sorry you'll miss the Ruck Jodi--I've never been myself, but certainly heard a lot about it.  The GA Ruck is this weekend, but an approaching snow storm promisses to keep me home.

                      My book is Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom.  Just published last month!  check it out at: http://www.hammockcamping.com
                      Ed

                    • J Cornelius
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
                        Message

                        Ed, what’s the diff between the 8.0a and the 8.5a??  And the book looks excellent – will probably pick it up (unless I decide to just buy the bloomin’ hammock!)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 15, 2003
                          Message

                          NM – I just read the top of the page

                          Jodi – who is blonde and isn’t ashamed to admit it!

                          Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                          Ed, what’s the diff between the 8.0a and the 8.5a??  And the book looks excellent – will probably pick it up (unless I decide to just buy the bloomin’ hammock!)

                          Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                          Sorry you'll miss the Ruck Jodi--I've never been myself, but certainly heard a lot about it.  The GA Ruck is this weekend, but an approaching snow storm promisses to keep me home.

                          My book is Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom.  Just published last month!  check it out at: http://www.hammockcamping.com

                          Ed

                        • David Chinell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 16, 2003
                            Hey, it's me, Bear.

                            I'm 53 and a resident of Florida. Originally from Canada,
                            I've lived in Florida now for almost 20 years. In Canada, as
                            a boy, I was active in the Boy Scouts, and did a fair amount
                            of car and tent camping.

                            As an adult, I've been into car camping off and on
                            throughout my life. About three or four years ago I got
                            interested in backpacking, and fell in love with the idea of
                            hammocking.

                            Since then, I've been conducting a series of experimental
                            expeditions to fine tune my gear, and find the elusive warm
                            butt of hammock winter.

                            I have hammocks from Crazy Creek, Hammock Bliss, Hennessy
                            Hammock, and Nomad Traveler. I also (blush) have one of the
                            notorious jungle hammocks, molding softly away in a corner
                            of my garage.

                            My expeditions are mainly to stealth locations in local
                            state parks or recreation areas. I prefer to go out for two
                            or three days, but even an overnight is better than being
                            indoors.

                            I'm a technical writer by trade, and am also interested in
                            first aid and survival gear, martial arts, and guitar.

                            There's NOTHING like the feeling of swaying gently in an
                            open hammock, the warmth of the sun filtering through the
                            green canopy above me, listening to the whispering voice of
                            the forest carried on the breeze, feeling the slow liquid
                            peace of the woods fill me.

                            Bear
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 16, 2003
                              Message
                              This dosen't sound like technical writing to me, Bear!  Instead, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!!....Ed

                            • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 16, 2003
                                I really glad you responded to this Ed, cause I was thinking along
                                the same lines myself! I going to print this out a post it above my
                                desk.

                                Thanks Bear