Cold weather sleep systems for hammocks

  • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2003
      Several others have recommended the Big Agnes sleeping bag/pad combo
      for use in a hammock. While I don't have any experience with the Big
      Agnes, it looks and sounds very feasible to me. The following
      description comes from their web site: http://www.BigAgnes.com

      "The Big Agnes System is a different design than the traditional
      sleeping bag lying on top of a sleeping pad. Instead, we have joined
      the two together. The pad slides into a sleeve on the bottom side of
      the bag and the top 2/3 of the bag is insulated like a traditional
      bag. When insulation material (ie. down or synthetic) is compressed
      under your body it looses most of its insulative value. Therefore,
      we eliminated the underside insulation and replaced it with a pad
      sleeve to accommodate the pad which provides the insulation. This
      design provides a secure foundation so you stay on the pad all
      night. You can roll freely, move into a fetal position, twist and
      turn without ever rolling off you pad. It also prevents the bag from
      twisting and engulfing you in an uncomfortable mess. We use the Big
      Agnes System throughout our line of sleeping bags."

      They offer several models of bags and pads for temps down to 20 or so.

      Does anyone on this list have any experience with the Big Agnes?...Ed
    • o123david <o123david@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2003
        Ed Speer wrote:
        >Several others have recommended the Big Agnes sleeping bag/pad combo
        >for use in a hammock. While I don't have any experience with the Big
        >Agnes, it looks and sounds very feasible to me.

        I have something similar from New Zealand, probably from before Big
        Agnes even existed. The Neve, made by Macpac <www.macpac.co.nz>.
        One night on the AT in New York State it was a warm evening as I took
        advantage of my hammock, a Hennessy original, and set up camp on a
        steep hillside not far from a major road. The next morning things
        seemed strange, both quiet and dark. The tarp over my hammock was
        covered with snow and it was still snowing. I was nice and
        comfortable in my Macpac Neve with a foam mattess underneath. The
        system worked beautifully.
        The Neve has changed over the years, there's a lighter Pinnacle, and
        I don't know how they compare with the Big Agnes bags. But the basic
        design seems to work very well in a hammock. --David